Documentary Declutter Project

gordo

Hall of Famer
Name
Gordon
This is a continuation of a project I started with the Single in February challenge. I'm not going repost all the verbiage and photos, but will update off and on as I continue to make progress.

You can read the setup here: Single In - Single in February (SiF) 2023: Here we go again ...

The project starts on Day 1, here: Single In - Single in February (SiF) 2023 - day 1

Since the end of SiF, I have made multiple trips to donation points, recycling, and trash. Today, I pulled some boxes and unpacked the contents, in prep for separating the items to be packed and shipped to family. The removal of the boxes allowed another slight rearrangement, again gain a slight bit more room and less clutter. One step at a time.

Corner of stuff, before:
original.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Corner of stuff, after:
original.jpg

And the evening's project, before:
original.jpg

During:
original.jpg

And after:
original.jpg

Stuff to be passed to family:
original.jpg

March & early April had movement on decluttering, but mostly limited to packing and shipping items to family. That was time-consuming and quite pricey. Not much has visually changed other than the pile of things going out and the associated packing materials are gone.
original.jpg

Things are slower again now as I wait for some pricier and/ or larger items to sell, and I'm back to moving things to get to things as I strive to keep the already decluttered areas clear.

Updates will happen again as I make any significant progress.

Minor update.

Grew weary of certain things. Clutter in the space I spend the majority of my time, I was always stepping around/ over or moving. Stuff I enjoy being boxed and sitting unused for years.

Decided to work on decluttering and rearranging the space I spend most of my time and pull some things out of boxes. Had to order an audio rack.

Still finishing the fine touches on locations and removing the remnants of clutter. Of course that means some areas previously cleared are partially cluttered again, but like I mentioned I spend most of my time in the living area. Even though it's not quite finished I'm already liking it a lot. Already made some trips to recycling. Likely will have another load of stuff going to donation this month.

Views from the command seat (recliner). To the left is the audio rack, speakers, headphones and receiver.
original.jpg

And to the front, the previously cluttered corner. A few items will sit until I have space, but mostly a light and the stand for the blu ray, soundbar and TV.
original.jpg

Another update of a painfully slow process.

Living area is mostly done. A few minor bits of clutter. And some worn out or inadequate things to be replaced once the decluttering is complete.

The reading lamp is normally to the left of the recliner, currently moved out of the way so the apartment maintenance peeps can access the vertical blinds. The bracket holding up the left side is pulling out of the wall. Once fixed, I'll be trying to get a rod and a set of thermal-backed curtains to try and cut down on the heat (and cold) transfer from the patio door. All afternoon the sun directly hits the door and radiates heat into the apartment.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Slowly working through other boxes. Still scanning photos and slides. Starting to go through too many boxes of paperwork and starting the process of sorting. I was hoping to be mostly done by now, not even close. I was thinking I might change directions and start getting things sold/ donated and see if I can get more clutter out quicker, then finish the tedious things. But with the heat this summer... probably better to stick with easier stuff inside for now.

A bit long between updates, but decluttering movement is slow. The areas cleared are a bit messier right now due to the nature of what I'm currently decluttering. Goal is to be done (or as close as possible) before September. Will be needing to make a decision on relocating to a new apartment locally or make a move to another area November/ December. Need to have as little as possible for that move.

Replaced the old reading lamp (floor lamp) after a short in the wiring. Now have a better IMHO reading lamp (table) that is off the floor and closer to where I read.
original.jpg

And the bulk of my decluttering the last few months has been drudge work - going through an seemingly endless pile of boxes containing old paperwork. The boxes with papers from Dad and Mom will need to be gone through by my siblings and I, so will be the last stuff to be gone through. Currently going through the easy papers, making a decision between shred box, recycle pile, or back into a box to be scanned once I make the initial cull. Slow but steady. The stack of 6 empty tubs were full of papers a few months ago, I now have a dozen empty tubs. Starting a new bag for the remaining papers in the shred box. Then on to the next box o' papers. Once the initial cull is done I'll be getting back to scanning the remaining family photos and slides before tackling the paperwork scans.
original.jpg

Back