Dell

I would probably avoid the Inspiron line. The XPS are supposed to be pretty decent. Often the big vendors have a business-class line that generally has better build quality, for Dell that would be the Precision line.

Dell sells everything from very low end machines built with cheap parts to high end well built machines. The consumer line tends to be cheaper and a bit bloated with unnecessary software. The last Windows machine I purchased was a Dell Vostro 7590, i7-9750H. I found it a very high quality build, a very dependable machine.

I have since switched to Mac though so while I do still have the Vostro it doesn’t get used much.

Just order one that's meant for content creators. I have one from the Latitude line at work. It's pretty powerful, has horrible battery life and literally the worst display I've ever used. We use them with a hub and multiple monitors in the office, but can take them home.

I currently have 5 Dell laptops. 1 Inspiron 15, 1 Inspiron 17, 1 INspiron 11 2-in-1 (my travel pc), 1 Inspiron 17 2-in-1 (was moms) and a 2007 Dell Studio 17 (my 1st Dell) that still works and is on Win7.

Very few issues. The Studio 17 is known for hinge issues, but they are easily user replaced.

Over the last 5 years I've owned 2 Dells that I've really liked.

My current machine is an XPS 15, it's an i7-11800H generation system
The previous one was an Precision 5520, an i5-7440HQ generation machine

Discounting the basic design, looks, ports, ........

Difference between the two lines? Out of the box configuration options (installed ram, drive size) and graphics options. The Precision use Intel UMA and workstation graphics cards. XPS systems have Intel Iris and your more familiar gaming like cards. Iris is actually pretty good for integrated graphics, UMA? Not as good. Workstation graphic cards are better if the applications can make use of them, but they are more $$ than your typical cards and may not be as good for gaming.

What do I like about them:
Good screens
Not light, but not really heavy either
And the big one - UPGRADABLE. Each of the 15" models I had/have have 2 upgradable RAM slots and 2 drive slots/bays. My current system has a 500gb boot drive and 2tb data drive that I bought separately and add myself.

And if you are comfortable taking the back off a laptop it's almost always cheaper to upgrade RAM and disks yourself.

Back