Nikon Df Autofocus Question

Name
Tim Williams
The Df's low light AF has taken quite a beating in some reviews. Have they issued any updates or do you feel any are necessary. Does it still have the focus assist inside the view finder for manual focus.I'm getting serious about buying one but one review said it would hunt in medium light until it was aimed at a contrasting scene. I don't go by reviews but people with real life experience. Thanks everyone

Yes. D700 used the sensor and Expeed engine from the D3.

The Df uses the D4 sensor with a tweaked D4 Expeed, focused at better low light high ISO performance.

And to an earlier question, yes, it still has the green dot AF confirmation. Works with all modern lenses and manual focus lenses.

I'm looking at this to use my Ai and Ais glass. I like to hunt out Gems in lenses and wander around and shoot whatever . I just do not want to get frustrated with the auto focus for my auto lens, all though I have delt with it before. I think Im willing to take a chance for it's IQ alone. I miss this old glass with Fuji, with Nikon I can spend hours out shooting a 40 year old lens.

What about a shoe flash turned down to 1/128 say or a shoe remote transmitter if it emits a pre-flash or beam for focus would this solve or at least help along the auto focus in low light? I can see the Df needs help in low light conditions.

Last edited:
Yes, in the manual Page 122 describes it. basically with all modern flashes, SB-600 and newer and the SU-800.

Well I went with the black in E condition. Hope I beat Adorama's holiday shipping deadline. They said 12:30 PM

Congrats! I think you'll love it more than you think....once you get to shooting with it. If I go a long time not shooting with it...then pick it back up, the first thing I ask myself is, "why did I wait so long"!

It will take some time to get used to the dial operations, but once you do, I can change 99% of what I need without moving my eye from the viewfinder.

I shoot Auto ISO with the base at 100, max at 6400. Usually enough for most situations. Exposure comp is on the left, and easy enough to do one handed with the release button on top.

I do like having the PASM dial as I find it quicker to shift between aperture priority and manual when I need than on the Fuji sometimes.

I've been tempted to get a Df. I like everything about it except for the choice AF module and battery. Had it come with at least the 51 point AF module and el-en15 battery, I'd own one in a heartbeat.

Back