Nikon Df Autofocus Question

Well I've got 30 days to try it so I should know if its a fit by then. I'll try and keep everyone updated.

By no means is the AF bad, it's just that the 51 AF point module is so good. It was just weird to use an AF system originally meant for DX/APS-C on a premium Nikon body.

The battery isn't bad by itself either since it's quite compact, the problem is when you have other Nikon DSLRs all running the same battery, except the Df. Plus they were able to fit the en-el15 in a Nikon 1 V1 body, so they easily could of fit it in the Df.

You'll love the Df. The AF is just fine. I recall the original debate over 51 points and 30"whatever" point: looking at the two modules back then, there was a size difference with the 51-point being larger. I've used mine at ISO 25,600 with good results. ISO 100 is amazing. The saturation count on this sensor is 120K per pixel. That's a lot.

I have the 80-200 in my cart on Amazon. I think I will go with it. I remember now that I did't care for the 70-210 f4, I liked the 4.5-5.6 D It focused almost as fast as my 80-200 2.8 but the colors were not as good as the 80-200.

@Tim Williams Have any plans on using older AI/AIS lenses on the Df? It works with them extremely well.

If you want something wide the 20/3.5 AIS is a good option. The 28/2.8 AIS is super sharp. Don't forget the 180/2.8 ED AIS. I've used it a ton for portraits. It's rendering is something that I love.

Even some pre-AI lenses are great! Just remember to flip up the indexing tab around the mount before putting on the pre-AI lenses. I've been using the old 35mm f/2.8 Nikkor-S Auto and 55/3.5 Macro.

Well the bid on the 105 fell through, I did buy the 35 f2 and the 80-200 so at this moment my kit is 24 2.8 Ais, 35 f2d, 55 2.8 ais Micro, 90 Tamron (on loan from my Daughter ) 28-70 and 80-200. Really want that 105 2.5 so will keep after it. After that it will just be deal hunting. I got a few Vivitar (Comine) so if I can find the 105 and land it that will do for a while. I did look up a 20 3.5 and may grab it because the price is right. Really looking forward to a long weekend of shooting once the Df gets here.

I had the black version before. But when I went back to one this year I got a used silver one from FM.
I think the black was more like a standard issue DSLR. The silver really looks like the old film SLRs. My buddy at work saw and thought it was a film camera.

Last edited:
I had the black version before. But when I went back to this year I got a used silver one from FM.
I think the black was more standard issue DSLR. The silver really looks like the old film SLRs. My buddy at work saw and thought it was a film camera

Yes, I like the silver version better but I bought one used in better condition in Black. If it turns out to be love I will send this one back and get the silver Refurb.

Found a great deal on a 24-85 3.5-4.5 VR and snatched it up. The 28-70 can now stay on the F100. Guess I should pick up a nifty 50, never owned one.

For the price, the 24-85 VR is a great lens. Had it back in my D700 days. I think you'll enjoy it.

Found a 80-200 2.8 AFS. Can the DF handle it or is it D4 time? Sports .

The Df should handle it fine for more predictable sports like baseball....but you'll definitely want the 51pt AF system and better cameras for anything else more challenging. Not that the Df can't do it...but the other cams will make your life easier.

Found a 80-200 2.8 AFS. Can the DF handle it or is it D4 time? Sports .

The AFS should focus fine and faster than the AFD which is screw drive. Just make note the 80-200mm AFS uses Nikon's 1st gen silent wave motors that were prone to squeak and eventually fail. They might or might not have parts to repair that lens if it does eventually break.

The last two slots to fill . It's either the D4 or the D810. (big files). But with the lens I have coming, I'm thinking for landscape and portraiture it may not be a bad thing.

Depends if you plan to shoot action or detailed shots. Honestly I don't like shooting two different bodies, so I split the difference down the middle and own two D750 cameras! ;)

(Link above brings up my example shot with the Df and this lens)

I "briefly had" the 24~85, picked up one that needed repair super-cheap, gave it away after repairing it. Sometimes I just buy stuff that needs repair to learn how to fix it. The new owner is very happy with it. It did quite well on the Df.

Avoid the 70~200/2.8 AF-VR-IF. It has a high rate of failure, cost my friend $600 to repair. Also avoid the newer 105/2.8 Micro-Nikkor Internal Focus. My AF-D Micro-Nikkor 105/2.8 is much sharper than the lens that replaced it. The CA of the newer lens is much worse than the Film-Era lens. I guess optical designers got lazier with Digital cameras and post-processing.

Last edited:

(Link above brings up my example shot with the Df and this lens)

I "briefly had" the 24~85, picked up one that needed repair super-cheap, gave it away after repairing it. Sometimes I just buy stuff that needs repair to learn how to fix it. The new owner is very happy with it. It did quite well on the Df.

Avoid the 70~200/2.8 AF-VR-IF. It has a high rate of failure, cost my friend $600 to repair. Also avoid the newer 105/2.8 Micro-Nikkor Internal Focus. My AF-D Micro-Nikkor 105/2.8 is much sharper than the lens that replaced it. The CA of the newer lens is much worse than the Film-Era lens. I guess optical designers got lazier with Digital cameras and post-processing.

If paying less than $1000 USD used for a Nikon 70-200mm lens, I can't say enough good things about the 70-200mm f/4 VR. That lens is incredibly sharp, great colors/contrast, nano coated and very lightweight. The VR is also better than either the 70-200mm 2.8 VR-I or VR-II and I also think it's sharper than either version. You only get the 2.8 version because you need the slightly faster aperture.

I suspect that cramming more electronics, internal-focus motors and associated gearing, electrical contacts shortens the life-expectancy of the newer lenses when compared to the manual focus and screw-drive lenses that I'm used to. My friend has the VR-II version of the lens, not "old in my book" to require a $600 repair. The VR mechanism of the lens failed, was producing blurred images.

Lensrentals Repair Data: 2012-2013

Last edited:
Looks like I'm getting the Silver Refurb. The black in E condition had been sold. It wont ship until the 29th, but at least all the lens will be here.I really wanted the silver anyway

I always thought the silver "panda" looked cool as hell anyway...when I got mine the store only had black. Enjoy when it arrives in early May! Looking forward to your thoughts and images from it.

Back