Panasonic Did everyone suddenly lose their LX3s?

D

dixeyk

It's funny that since the LX5 arrived it's as though the LX3 does not exist anymore. Granted the LX5 is new and improved (with some very nice features). When I noticed fair numbers of LX3s getting dumped on CL and the various boards buy and sell sections I decided to pick one up. I ended up with a new looking 500 shot LX3 with box and all accessories still sealed in plastic for around $200.

From what I have been able to tell so far it's still quite a capable camera despite being yesterday's news.

:D

The LX3 is a great camera. The only issue I had with it was the joystick. I kept getting it wrong.
The LX5 fixed that but I sold that also to get money for the Fuji....
anyway, youse have a great camera there...
don

I got swept up in the hype of the LX3 and bought myself an LX5. I'm not about to rubbish the little cam, just that he and I didn't get on so well so parted company soon after. But I can see that it would be perfect for some....though, truth be told, I'd still be looking sideways at an S95 or XZ-1.

@ Don -
The LX5 fixed that but I sold that also to get money for the Fuji....
Mate are you referring to the X100? If so, is she in your hot little hands yet? I'm keen for impression from a genuine shooter so look forward to your take on it if you're destined for one.

Yeah, I'm waiting on one. I'll give it real workout but I'll know if it will do the job in 5 minutes.
I will publish a real review from a street shooters point of view....
Don

Don,

Mate I look forward to it eagerly. I like to consider myself an individual of strong character, but confess I will be heavily swayed by your impressions of the X100. You were the reason I bought the GRDII all those years ago - and I was not disappointed for a second. So I hold you to account my friend ;)

Love your work.

Hey my friend. The issue will be the finder.
I see your still on the Sigma. They are also great cameras.
Many say the have issues but I say the have personality.
Don

I see your still on the Sigma. They are also great cameras.
Many say the have issues but I say the have personality.

Spot on Don!
I'd also add that the lil Sigma also has the propensity to reveal a little more about a photographer's personality....
....mostly betraying whether they possess the virtue of patience and constancy :D

Honestly it is not a camera that impresses itself on you immediately. But with time invested, and by witness to its outputs, it becomes a closer companion each day. Yes it's moody but not a day goes by that I'd not be without it. No wonder my better half hates that little thing so much! :redface:

Not wanting to repeat myself, but next I think a DP1...

I am impressed by the color and sharpness of the LX3. It is startlingly close to my EPL-1/Panasonic 20/1.7 at times. Today I took the LX3 out for a spin in bright sunny weather and I found that while I am enjoying it immensely, I really missed my VF2 quite a lot. For a small cam the LX3 is quite fun and the ability to do macros without any muss or fuss is a real bonus. It'll never replace my EPL-1/Panasonic 20 combo but I can see taking it on a trip.

I can see that the LX3 would be pretty nice with an optical viewfinder added to it. I find that I am almost never using the zoom. I set it at 24mm and forget it. Something like a CV21 bright line viewfinder would make it a LOT more useable in bright light. I saw somewhere a person with an LX3 and an old Yashica viewfinder on it. It's got me thinking.

Back