Didja EVER?

love the foals. My sister-in-law was Smarty Jones "personal assistant" for a couple years after the derby. She worked at Three Chimneys farm and booked tours of the farm and made appointments for Smarty. She even would answer some "fan mail". She said it was incredible the number of people who loved Smarty Jones and would write letters "to him".
That's really cool. I guess he started his stud career in Kentucky, but at some point moved back home to Pennsylvania for "retirement", although I guess he's still getting his work in...

This little offspring is a really cool little horse. All of the other foals are really shy and always hanging back by their mothers, but this little Smarty kid is running around and if you get at all close to the fence, he comes right up and sticks his head through to get his forehead scratched and say hello... I've rarely gotten a feel for a horse's personality (except the ones I used to ride regularly as a kid when I lived out west and worked at a summer camp for a couple of years), but this little guy is clearly different than the other foals at this farm...

Barbaro was another big name horse with local connections. I think he was from around here, but I don't remember that for sure. But I know after he broke his leg in the Preakness, he was at the New Bolton Center for surgery and treatment until they had to put him down several months later. That veterinary facility is a few miles further west from this farm and I always used to ride past both of them on my bike. When Barabaro was being treated at New Bolton, that place was crazy. There was a HUGE memorial with flowers and cards and letters always being posted near their front entrance. And there were frequently tons of people milling around and school busses stopping by. I don't think he ever got outside during his stay - they had him propped up in a harness, mostly in water, to keep weight off of his leg. And, eventually, it was all for naught. But, man, I've never seen an outpouring like that for a horse...

-Ray

nice stuff but I think you can reset the default on the camera so it will not shoot without a card
Hmmmm - I'll have to dive into the menus/manual and see if there is. That would have helped...

Edit - yeah, found it. Now it just doesn't do anything without a card in the slot. Of course, if I ever actually do this, I'll probably just think I've totally killed the camera somehow, but I might eventually figure it out. And at least I won't think I'm getting exposures...

-Ray

Last edited:
Back