Fuji Difficulty with Xpro2 raw files and opinions needed.

Grokgod

Regular
Hello all,
I have an Xpro 2 and I shoot with the 35mm 2.0 and the 16mm.
Much to my chagrin, I think I need an education on understanding how to process the raw files properly or what I should be expecting from Fuji and what is beyond its abilities or what I am foolishly projecting.

Firstly I have an issue with Worms and basic degradation with the raw files and just can't seem to get what I want from them. Especially at higher ISO's round 640.

I value any opinions or help and am plainly trying to understand if the issue is in my head or merely a trait of Fuji raw and how they are processed.

There are many different options online about sharpening preferences in LR and using Iridient.
Capture 10.1 has just come out and I haven't tried that yet.

This is my honest attempt to reconcile my issues with the system before I move on to a different one due to frustration and just plainly not enjoying working with the RAW files.

TIA to anyone willing to help me out.
I appreciate it.
Cheers

I read somewhere to go light on the sharpening but push the details slider to 100. I tried this and it seemed to diminish the worm issue. I also lay off luminescence noise reduction a bit and just leave noise I can only really see at 100%. I'm relatively new to xtrans raw as well so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up.
I actually have gotten the opposite info for sites.
To leave the details and sharpening under 5.

I have tried to use Iridient transformer
here isa sample of the results I am getting. Worms worms worms, the girls silky flesh was not like this.
Iridium fuhi.png

Here is a sample from the new Capture One 10.1 and with careful sharpening, you may be able to avoid the worms and smudging.
No photo shopping or anything, just pure raw, a tad clarity and sharpening to test.
This is the best I have seen so far from a raw convertor.
Still, should a raw file be so difficult to work with and is it enough quality to continue with the system.

To my eyes, when I see Sony or Leica etc Fuji files simple don't seem worth the effort.
I am open to all opinions or help in the subject.
TIA
fuji test 2 1.jpg

I'm not into Fuji raw files so I don't have the answer, and I would never look at a photo at 100% either, so I would have never found the worms. (I don't mean for that to read like you're wrong for viewing at 100%....to be clear) But I'd wager you'd get some expert level advice over here where most our old Fuji shooters have migrated..... FujiXspot - Fuji X User Group

same basic forum but purely for Fuji X shooters.

Let us know if you get an answer that satisfies....or if worms are just part of the Fuji magic ;)

Last edited:
I've never seen worms, but then I use SooC jpgs most of the time from my X-Pro2 and X-100F. I shoot raw+jpg and if I do need to process a raw file I do so in camera. No worms... This leads me to believe that it is more about the aftermarket processing than the raw material (pun intended).

I'm not into Fuji raw files so I don't have the answer, and I would never look at a photo at 100% either, so I would have never found the worms. (I don't mean for that to read like you're wrong for viewing at 100%....to be clear) But I'd wager you'd get some expert level advice over here where most our old Fuji shooters have migrated..... FujiXspot - Fuji X User Group

same basic forum but purely for Fuji X shooters.

Let us know if you get an answer that satisfies....or if worms are just part of the Fuji magic ;)

Sure I will move on to that site IF i decide to continue using the Fuji system, so far it looks like it will be going to eBay.
Quality of Raw files are just sub par to me.
Thanks

I've never seen worms, but then I use SooC jpgs most of the time from my X-Pro2 and X-100F. I shoot raw+jpg and if I do need to process a raw file I do so in camera. No worms... This leads me to believe that it is more about the aftermarket processing than the raw material (pun intended).

Oh yes, agree the processing is the culprit here.
And Fuji should address the issue by putting out their own software that works best or helping Adobe far more.

I also have shot raw and Jpg but at ISO's about 640 the smudging and skin waxing isn't really what I was hoping for.
Its a look that it seems some enjoy and that's great.
I prefer more micro contrast.

I have the Xpro2 also and I LOVE the body, its a joy to work with.
Just want better RAW conversion or something that will make the files workable.

Do the Fuji jpegs have worms? If not, then there is a way to process the raw files without getting them. I wonder if Fuji engineers have ever discussed it.

I ask myself that often also.
What does Fuji think of this and how or when will they address it?
There is plenty of evidence on the net and various so called workarounds to lessen the worms etc
So Fuji must be aware of it and think that they have been trying to work with Adobe more closely.

Obviously they chose to NOT use the X Trans sensor in the GFX medium format camera because of these type of issues.
Or we would have seen the GFX with an X Trans sensor.

Much like Sony taking their time to address their 12 bit compressed raw files which really wasn't as much of a problem as Fuji's worms, smudging and waxy skin at higher ISO's, it will take a lot of time if ever to address.

Last edited:
Do the Fuji jpegs have worms? If not, then there is a way to process the raw files without getting them. I wonder if Fuji engineers have ever discussed it.

The Fuji Jpg's tend to SMOOTH out the worms and often produces waxy skin or smudging especially at higher ISO's
So, I would assume the engineers are aware of it.
Though not in the way they are in Aliens: Covenant!

I value any opinions or help and am plainly trying to understand if the issue is in my head or merely a trait of Fuji raw and how they are processed.

Not trying to be controversial here, but have you tried NOT sharpening? :) You're using two Fuji prime lenses, and I'd have though that they would provide a good sharp image. IME, sharpening in post rarely, if ever, improves on lens sharpness, and often ruins things. (Just my 2c.)

I got off the sharpening 'wagon' some years ago, and feel much better for it! :D

Not trying to be controversial here, but have you tried NOT sharpening? :) You're using two Fuji prime lenses, and I'd have though that they would provide a good sharp image. IME, sharpening in post rarely, if ever, improves on lens sharpness, and often ruins things. (Just my 2c.)

I got off the sharpening 'wagon' some years ago, and feel much better for it! :D

Yeah, that suggestion certainly has merit.
And Have been trying that.
I don't think the 35mm F2 has very good sharpness, while the 16mm is pretty good.

I would like an overall sharper photo than what I am getting from Fuji, and more like my other Nikon and Sony files.

That said I am NOT a sharpness whore.
Often files from the Rx1r2 look TOO sharp to me and I prefer the original version.

Last edited:
Back