Pentax Digging the Pentax Q

Another thing that gets camera used is their being with you when needed. Like on the end of your keyring.

I agree with a previous comment that said in their ads Pentax should be sure to include a familiar object that would give a sense of scale. The keyring is a great one.

My prediction for what will happen when the Pentax Q sensor gets somes dust on it

Canon350D-IMG_2507-DUST.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have to admit, aethestically it appeals to me, especially that silver lens on the black body. Wow. :D

I don't know how the image quality will compare with, say, the Ricoh GRD III or the Panasonic LX5, which use a larger sensor and have dedicated (read: made specifically for the sensor) lenses, but I'm willing to wait and see.

The fact that the lenses don't seem to cost that much point to two things: the disposable/novelty nature of the lenses and low cost of manufacture. I hope that this does not translate to low build quality or reliability. The body itself is where the money seems to be, and yet in all other interchangeable lens systems, it is the body that is the upgradable part. The lenses stay with you through several bodies if possible in traditional SLR/DSLR/CSC systems. I wonder if Pentax aim to do the opposite, or something thereabouts: keep the body, and buy as many novelty/inexpensive lenses as you want.

It does seem a rather large amount of money to pay for a camera that can be matched with a couple of high quality compact cameras, but then, the same could be said for the Ricoh GXR. And I love mine. The Pentax Q might serve a niche of people who love gadgety things and are happy with small sensor image quality. The issue that I see is that it doesn't exist in a vacuum, and must compete with fixed lens compacts.

If I was starting a compact camera collection right now, I would buy the Ricoh GXR with two aps-c modules, and the Sony HX9V. I don't think I'd get the Pentax Q, as cool as it looks.

When I look at this camera I think who in their right mind would pay $800 for a camera with a tiny P&S sized sensor? No matter how advanced the sensor is (and there is no reason to think it is going to be significantly better than existing Sony sensors) it is still absurdly overpriced.

That said, I often look at new cameras coming onto the market and think, who in their right mind would buy that, and I'm nearly always wrong.

This thing is kind of like my pug Jack. So ugly it's cute. I'm interested to see what the IQ is like as well as get some reports on ergonomics. If it is as small as the photo with the keychain, I'll seriously consider one to clip on my messenger bag. Heck, you could get a retractable keychain thing and just keep it attached to the inside of the front pocket of your bag and pull it out when you want to shoot and then let it retract back in when you're done... Hmmmmm...

For reference, here's Jack. See? Ugly AND cute. :D
5870805772_8ca9fc1321_b.jpg

This thing is kind of like my pug Jack. So ugly it's cute. I'm interested to see what the IQ is like as well as get some reports on ergonomics. If it is as small as the photo with the keychain, I'll seriously consider one to clip on my messenger bag. Heck, you could get a retractable keychain thing and just keep it attached to the inside of the front pocket of your bag and pull it out when you want to shoot and then let it retract back in when you're done... Hmmmmm...

For reference, here's Jack. See? Ugly AND cute. :D
5870805772_8ca9fc1321_b.jpg

Pugs are ugly cute, which is why I have two myself.......but $800.00 is too expensive of a key chain.

I've been reading this thread on my iphone on vacation - since I'm home and have access to a keyboard for a few more hours before going back, I'll dive in.

I'm sorry but I just TOTALLY don't see the appeal other than the "well, it sure is little" first impression. To me, the one benefit of these tiny sensor cameras that makes them a viable option for some people in good light is the ability to mate them to a superzoom lens and get a range of something like 25-300mm in a pocketable camera. THAT has some appeal, even though the inability to deal with even slightly low light makes 'em a no go for me. And these are generally available for, what $300 or so. A perfect versatile camera for a light traveler who doesn't care much about IQ or low light. But INTERCHANGEABLE lenses on one of these little guys? Why? What for? I just don't get that at all. You're not gonna get to the same superzoom capability in the same collapsible lens dimensions. I'm just having trouble seeing ANY benefit for anyone who isn't just so into the gagetudinous-ness of it to have to have one out of curiosity alone. As an actual camera, I can't see what you get that don't get better with other options.

I'm usually open to wacky ideas, but I'm having trouble with this one.

-Ray

Back