Leica Digilux 2 (or Lumix LC1): Am I ten years too late for it!

Raid

All-Pro
I finally purchased a Panasonic Lumix LC1, which is identical to a Leica Digilux 2. It has a small sensor for 5MP images, and it sports a fixed zoom lens which is a 7-22.5 Vario-Summicron with max aperture 2.0-2.4. I noticed someone's posted images and I asked him last Saturday which camera/lens he was using. Oh well. My question has resulted in GAS, which resulted in today's purchase of the LC1.

IMG_0637a.jpg

I am reading up about this camera. It has only ISO 100-200-400, and it needs at least 6 seconds between consecutive RAW images. Its lens has a stellar reputation.

Do you have any information on it?

IMG_0639a.jpg

It has an annoying 1 sec lag from the time you press the shutter release button until an image is formed. This is not good for people photography if you want to capture quick moments.

Raid

Last edited by a moderator:
I've looked at these on Ebay in the past, I am always tempted.

I have an article in a Magazine about it- need to find it, was a good article. This came out when the M8 was new.

Post some shots!

If you can locate a copy of your article, post it here, please. I will try a low MP approach to see what I can manage to do with it. The camera has a 3 images burst in jpg mode. It seems to be a preferred mode for people photography. Its jpg is supposed to be excellent. It has a RAW mode too.
Its zoom is equivalent to 28-90.

congrats, i hope you like it. i had the digilux years ago. look, alot of people still use and must like this tool, and i hope youre one of them. as others might read this and wax nostalgic for a piece of leica history, let me give my thoughts on my experience. imo, and please dont take offense, the lens is like a ferrari engine and the body is like a beat up volkswagen. the evf was at the time probably the worst i ever used, saw or heard about--dark, jumpy and glitchy. i found only base iso useable for color. shutter lag and image lag felt like a continually misfiring carbeurator. i was constantly frustrated by the body's inability to deliver on the lens's promise. just my 2¢. again, none of what i said means that you will not enjoy it. me, i'd pay well over $1000 for the lens to use on any present day mirrorless camera, if such a thing were possible.

Hi Tony,
I paid $315 for the camera. I could mail it to Japan to "whats-his-name" who removes lenses from fixed lens cameras and he adds a RF focusing mechanism for about $450.
Of course, this lens is not meant for a 35mm camera, so it won't work to have this amazing Summicron modified for another camera.
Your point is well taken. I view this is a fun experiment for $315.

Raid

congrats, i hope you like it. i had the digilux years ago. look, alot of people still use and must like this tool, and i hope youre one of them. as others might read this and wax nostalgic for a piece of leica history, let me give my thoughts on my experience. imo, and please dont take offense, the lens is like a ferrari engine and the body is like a beat up volkswagen. the evf was at the time probably the worst i ever used, saw or heard about--dark, jumpy and glitchy. i found only base iso useable for color. shutter lag and image lag felt like a continually misfiring carbeurator. i was constantly frustrated by the body's inability to deliver on the lens's promise. just my 2¢. again, none of what i said means that you will not enjoy it. me, i'd pay well over $1000 for the lens to use on any present day mirrorless camera, if such a thing were possible.

wow Raid, i didnt know one could do that. why wouldnt it work say on m4/3 with the smaller sensor? i would be really interested if this were possible!

and really, its unfortunate that my personal experience was pretty negative, but that doesnt mean anyone elses will be, or that theyre looking to get out of the experience what i wanted. like i said, there are a whole lot of people who still like and use this camera to good effect. i hope you enjoy it.

"It has an annoying 1 sec lag from the time you press the shutter release button until an image is formed. This is not good for people photography if you want to capture quick moments."

Is that the case even if you prefocus? I had a Digilux 2, loved it, and don't recall any noticeable shutter lag.

Very special camera/lens. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed mine.

The idea to change the lens from a lens for the Digilux 2 to M 4/3 sounds very tempting indeed, Tony.
Then the wonderful Vario Summicron could be used on modern cameras. Even if the cost is $500, it would be a cheap Summicron!

wow Raid, i didnt know one could do that. why wouldnt it work say on m4/3 with the smaller sensor? i would be really interested if this were possible!

and really, its unfortunate that my personal experience was pretty negative, but that doesnt mean anyone elses will be, or that theyre looking to get out of the experience what i wanted. like i said, there are a whole lot of people who still like and use this camera to good effect. i hope you enjoy it.

"It has an annoying 1 sec lag from the time you press the shutter release button until an image is formed. This is not good for people photography if you want to capture quick moments."

Is that the case even if you prefocus? I had a Digilux 2, loved it, and don't recall any noticeable shutter lag.

Very special camera/lens. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed mine.

If you pre-focus or if you use jpg in a 3-images burst, all is well really.

Back