Leica Digilux 3...Still in love with it.

Jeff Williams 1.jpg
I took the D3 out today for a bit of fun. I have a fair bit of gear , however, I just love using my D3. This is just a quick shot and nothing to serious. Still, a nice shot never the less.

yes it is a nice shot. what lens did you use?

i recently picked up the panny version, the L1, with leica 14-50/2.8 as an AF complement to my rd1. i am enjoying the analogue controls and the hybrid ccd sensor, especially for skin tones. i actually started a 'Dead Camera Thread' on the Photographers Lounge sister site to showcase 'obselete' cameras like the D3. i enjoy the nuance of the b&w, but the popping colors really surprised me. i hope you dont mind if i post a couple.

p1394943091-5.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p1397861081-5.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
G`day, thanks for the reply. The lens I used is the stock lens..... Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm f2.8-3.5

I did have the L1 and D2and loved them. They were just a bit limited in the ISO rating and noise therein.
However the D3 is, for me, a complete camera. The ISO is very comparable to other cameras. The camera can also shoot up to 600% focal length with that standard lens...incredible.

I might have loved those previous camera`s, but I adore the D3. I actually prefer it to my M9. (the M9 IS A BETTER camera though) Its just the feel of the D3 I guess.

Another one from the D3. This one was shot quickly hence the look on her face and just missed my focal point.

Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm f2.8-3.5

1/50th. f.4. 200 ISO.
sandra0079.jpg

hey bruce

i had the D2 as well many years ago. loved the lens, hated the vf so much i got rid of it. the L1 i now have is not the same as the D2, but is the sister 4/3 interchangeable lens 7.5 mp to your D3. the shots i posted above were with that camera and the same kit lens youre using. i dont believe there is any iso or other differences between them except i bet the D3 is a little 'warmer' because thats the leica software TM.

hey bruce

i had the D2 as well many years ago. loved the lens, hated the vf so much i got rid of it. the L1 i now have is not the same as the D2, but is the sister 4/3 interchangeable lens 7.5 mp to your D3. the shots i posted above were with that camera and the same kit lens youre using. i dont believe there is any iso or other differences between them except i bet the D3 is a little 'warmer' because thats the leica software TM.

Yes, you are correct. I had the D2 in mind concerning the ISO.

Where I use my D3 the most is in BW's and when I pull out all the stops and really go for that perfect shot, I notice a significant difference, the D3 does give me an edge that Im looking for. (reffer to siste site)

Either way, I feel the L1, LC1, D2 and the D3 are extremely under rated.

Cheers.

oh yes, having used mine and seeing the results, i'd have to agree on them being underrated. i feel the same way about the epson rd1. most all the rf folk dismiss it, and many feel that somehow the m8 is an 'upgrade', but i wouldnt trade mine in. i could see the m9 as an upgrade because youre talking ff, which is its own animal, and 12 extra mps. but looking through that epson's 1:1 vf uncluttered with only one set of framelines, and knowing i dont have to worry about color or focus shift, i still dont know...

Last edited by a moderator:
Good points Tony,
I get what ya saying. Quite frankly I`m over FF, I just don`t have the call for it these days. I`m also over all the "bells and whistles" that all the new camera`s are coming out with. For me, I want a camera that can handle a good shot and I will do the rest and that`s it.

Its a little out of control, bring back the basics and concentrate on that.

Cheers.

Back