News Digital Camera Resource shutting down

Djarum

All-Pro
Name
Jason
Just an FYI, Jeff is shutting down his site, Digital Camera Reviews and News | Digital Camera Resource Page.

DCResource to close at end of year; Jeff headed to Digital Photography Review | Digital Camera Resource Page News

He started doing work for dpreview some time back and it appears he will be going to dpreview full time. Personally I'm sad about this because I enjoyed his site and reviews. His reviews were always more casual and user based than scientific and rather sterile reviews of preview. I purchased my first serious compact, the Panasonic fz3, mostly because of his review.

Sad to see it go, he's probably one of the longest running digital camera reviewers out there. Glad he's found a viable way to remain "in the business" though, he's been struggling for years.

Back in the early 2000's, Jeff's site was my go-to place for reviews about digital cameras. I learned so much about the different brands and how they compared with each other. I liked it more than DPReview, although that changed over time, as I haven't looked at DCR for years and DPReview has become one of the main sites I visit, apart from SC, Leica User Forums and Rangefinder Forums.

Steve's Digicams was another site I frequented at that time. I wonder how he is traveling, given Jeff's situation. Having just had a look at both DCR and Steve's Digicams, I feel a warm wave of nostalgia and a touch of poignancy for Jeff. It's sad that the site is closing, but I'm happy that he is working for DPReview! His time and experience with DCR has certainly served him in good stead. It's a full-blown resume for a camera reviewer, that is for sure. Go, Jeff!

Jeff's site will be missed. Like others, I frequented DCR a lot more after I first made the switch to digital than lately - although that's not Jeff's fault.

Meanwhile, Steve apparently sold Steve's Digicams a few years ago - although I understand he still does the reviews for the site. Steve's is another place I used to hang out a lot more when I was new to digital.

Old members will notice the Steve's forums have gotten rather quiet - some categories are nearly dead. Although I still try to check in with the friendly crowd in the Pentax DSLR section every few weeks.

It's like everything else, sites are hot for a while and then people move on for a variety of reasons. It's hard to keep things going if a site is your living. There are a lot more sites doing camera reviews these days than there were 5-10 years ago. Although there are still only a few whose reviews are good enough to warrant serious consideration. Jeff's was one of those and remained so right up until the end.

I noticed the odd DCR article cropping up on DPR lately, and wondered if they'd been gobbled by Amazon and merged. It seems that the answer is a bit simpler. I'm glad that Jeff is still active. In this biz we need as many different views as possible.

Back