News Digital Cameras: A 2024 "status symbol"? 🤔

Kevin

Code Monkey 🐒
Who knows, maybe this will help spur some sales this year. 🤷‍♂️ Apparently a predicted "status symbol" trend for 2024 is to use an actual (digital) camera instead of your phone.

From Business Insider:

Why would someone lug a digital camera around when they already have a cellphone?

They could be a professional photographer, but more likely, they're using the technology as a quiet status symbol.

Digital cameras are proving to be everywhere in 2024, especially vintage and colorful ones (a TikTok search for "pink camera" results in videos with more than 39.4 million views).

But to get in on the trend, be prepared to drop a few hundred dollars. One of the most popular models online — the 2015 Nikon COOLPIX S6900 — can be found on resale websites like eBay for over $200.

Of course, you could also opt for a newer point-and-shoot option from Nikon, so long as you're willing to drop at least $480.

If any "influencers" are reading this, be sure to get your 2024 status symbol from one of our affiliate vendors! :D

Sheeet, I'ma sell this vintage baby and go to Disneyland!
Lol, actually I thought this was stolen along with a bunch of other gear but I guess them fools didn't know collector equipment when they saw it.
Actually my first foray into digital.
IMG_2976.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sheeet, I'ma sell this vintage baby and go to Disneyland!
Lol, actually I thought this was stolen along with a bunch of other gear but I guess them fools didn't know collector equipment when they saw it.
Actually my first foray into digital.
View attachment 441678

Years ago, I bought one of these for my wife for her ebay stuff. She used it for over 10 years. She does not sell as much anymore on ebay and I eventually gave it to one of my grandkids who thought it was the coolest looking thing ever.

Haha, yeah, I expected something in the ballpark of the TikTok-inflated Fuji X100 cameras (or the obvious Leicas)…

Didn’t realize that keeping up with the Joneses only requires something along the lines of a Nikon Coolpix…
Well that’s good news :D

(Can I still have my actual camera with me for taking pictures? As long as I dangle the old Coolpix around my neck? :) )

It's actually not that far off to label carrying a camera as a "status" item, because they're definitely being carried and used conspicuously, and conspicuousness is one of the main factors of things that become viral or viral status objects. I don't think it will supplant the stereotypical "photographer" image, and will probably be pretty fleeting, but it could get the camera manufacturers a shot in the arm with sales, especially the extra conspicuous-looking ones like Fujifilm and Leica, and to an extent OM Digital/Olympus and Nikon.

Oh, and let's not forget Lomography! 😏

It's actually not that far off to label carrying a camera as a "status" item, because they're definitely being carried and used conspicuously, and conspicuousness is one of the main factors of things that become viral or viral status objects. I don't think it will supplant the stereotypical "photographer" image, and will probably be pretty fleeting, but it could get the camera manufacturers a shot in the arm with sales, especially the extra conspicuous-looking ones like Fujifilm and Leica, and to an extent OM Digital/Olympus and Nikon.

Oh, and let's not forget Lomography! 😏
Totally - but the weird thing about this current fad is that they’re ‘focussing’ on the most basic point and shoots from back when those were churned out in the thousands/millions…

Guess the “status” part comes in when you pay the inflated prices these cameras demand these days on Etsy/ebay/etc…

“I can burn a few hundred dollars on some worthless, redundant technology”

Not sure that’s exactly what they’re going for, but then again, I don’t really know that much about any of that :D

Last edited:
Totally - but the weird thing about this current fad is that they’re ‘focussing’ on the most basic point and shoots from back when those were churned out in the thousands/millions…

Guess the “status” part comes in when you pay the inflated prices these cameras demand these days on Etsy/ebay/etc…

“I can burn a few hundred dollars on some worthless, redundant technology”

Not sure that’s exactly what they’re going for, but then again, me and my 5 identical dark blue hoodies don’t really know that much about any of that :D
I think maybe it's because the low-fi nature of film photos from cheap point and shoot cameras kind of incited the current trend. Notice that the hipster film users who gush about the colors of overexposed Portra aren't aiming for the cheap cameras, but the Leicas and SLRs with sharp lenses.

And yes, the currently inflated prices for a humble Stanley tumbler cup prove that all something needs to be exclusive is to be a) conspicuous and b) hard to get/expensive.

As someone born in the 80s, I am ever the hipster: I used a Stanley before it was cool!

I think maybe it's because the low-fi nature of film photos from cheap point and shoot cameras kind of incited the current trend. Notice that the hipster film users who gush about the colors of overexposed Portra aren't aiming for the cheap cameras, but the Leicas and SLRs with sharp lenses.

And yes, the currently inflated prices for a humble Stanley tumbler cup prove that all something needs to be exclusive is to be a) conspicuous and b) hard to get/expensive.

As someone born in the 80s, I am ever the hipster: I used a Stanley before it was cool!
Ah, just goes to show how little I know.
When I read “Stanley Cup” I could only think of this thing… (that would certainly be a way to hydrate with status :D )

IMG_2876.jpeg

You laugh, but what if that becomes ubiquitous like Kleenex or Xerox? The “influencers” have enough clout that it is not too far away from the realm of possibility. 😱
Ooh, that is a scary thought!

I was thinking more of the opposite, though. If any camera is now perceived as a status symbol then there's no need to mention any makers. And the humble photographer gets bashed as a dentist ("only rich dentists buy Leicas cameras, serious photographers use proper cameras smartphones").

Last edited:
I have noticed a trend in camera hikes recently! All my old favourites i fancied revisiting have skyrocketed in price!..sorta makes it pointless...But this is my thinking that All the wannabee hipsters are jumping on the bandwagon..The 80's and early 90's are on the Radar of all the so-callad Kool Kids.
Not DSLR's though...They all too goddam lazy to carry one around:coffee-79:

Back