Darkroom Challenge Digital Darkroom Challenge #121 - Winner announced

kae1

All-Pro
Name
Ken
One from my short lived test of a used full frame camera (until the rear screen started to develop lines of dead pixels and the camera was returned). The picture is from Yorkshire Air Museum with bits of a Nimrod and a Victor bomber.

_DSC7113.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Please read the rules here. Short version: Host provides the challenge image and selects the winner, who then becomes the next host.

RAW and JPEG files are here #121

Derby closes on Thursday 25th May at 08:00 BST

Entry #1:

Up in the thriving metropolis of Cloncurry (aka "The Curry") in north-western Queensland at present. Internet access is still a bit "iffy", but at least I did manage to download the challenge files.

First ran the ARW file through DxO PureRAW 3, primarily for lens correction, before importing the resulting DNG file into Capture One Pro 23 for some Highlight and Shadow recovery. Highlight Recovery to make the clouds stand out more and Shadow Recovery to make the wheel area a bit more visible and to brighten the image. Added a bit of Contrast. And that was it!

_DSC7113-ARW.jpg

Last edited:
As I mentioned this challenge was part of my personal test with a full frame camera as I wanted to see whether a larger sensor produced noticeably better images than my m4/3rds and small sensor cameras. It is also interesting to see how these two relics from the Cold War era have inspired you all in different ways. I'm delighted that @Peano 's insomnia has been cured (and my invoice is in the post) and would like some of what @copescamera is taking.

Screenshot.jpg

My preferences for the challenge are :-

Second runner up - @Stiga #1 - Although I'd prefer more of the Nimrod's nose I like the HDR look created especially the clouds
First runner up - @WhidbeyLVR - I like both the colour and B&W entries, the crops, the contrast and the removal of the signs and barriers
Winner - @griffljg #1 - I like the level of contrast, the clouds and the realistic colour (of a cloudy cold day)

Congratulations Larry, and over to you. (y)

Thank you Ken (@kae1). I must admit that I am quite surprised, but thank you anyway. Once again, I am going to have to pass this on to Lyle (@WhidbeyLVR ). I am still in Cloncurry, where internet access is patchy (to be kind). I'll probably leave in a couple of days. - Then internet access will probably get worse, not better. If I can download the raw file, then my 16" Apple M2 Max MacBook is great for processing photos. But then the problem is to upload them, let alone viewing other entries.

So, once again, over to you Lyle. Your challenges are usually really great!

PS: I can see that I am going to have to adopt @Peano 's approach until I get home.

Last edited:
Back