Darkroom Challenge Digital Darkroom Derby #001 (closed, results posted)

What strikes me is finding quite a few "regulars" from Mu4/3 on this forum. Seems we all think the ship is going down. Cue the song from "Titanic".
I will continue to visit and post comments on mu-43 because it is a scarce and valuable resource on the gear I currently use. What I choose not to do is post photos to share there because the TOS have become onerous regarding implied copyright license. I do not think that the ship is going down, but the cargo will change. Anybody who cares about their intellectual property would be nuts to post it there now. So for the time being, I will be both here and there (which is probably neither here nor there).

But I don’t really want to fill posts here with the cr*p going on somewhere else. Let’s see images and read about tools and techniques!

Last edited:
Entry 2

ddd001_2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

EDIT - what I did:

Opened the image in Adobe Camera Raw to make adjustments to contrast, highlight, shadow etc. Changed the profile to a colour film simulation and dialed it down a little. In Photoshop duplicated the layer and painted texture into the bird. Dodged its head. Added a vibrance layer and masked in some colour on the bird. Added sun-flare and bokeh using ON1 Effects plug-in. Flattened and duplicated the image, added motion blur and masked it in to the background. Vignetted. Added a brick wall texture via the filter gallery panel. Added a border.

Last edited:
Many thanks to everyone who participated! I liked all the resulting images, and there was actually more variation than I had expected/feared from my simple offering.

The flaws which bothered me most about my image were:

3. Busy boring background with too little color/luminance contrast at the edges of the subject.
2. Shutter speed was too slow to freeze the wings. But the shallow depth of field would have left them blurry anyway.
1. And, most annoyingly, no catch light in the eye.

Several folks tackled #3 (the background), thanks. @Zeus1 tried to deal with #2 (motion blur) gave up, so that's probably a nearly impossible fix (at least for now). A few folks dealt obliquely with the lack of catch light in the eye, but only one edit seemed really effective.

I thought color images were more effective than B&W for this image. My favorite B&Ws were by @kae1 and @mike3996 , but they were all good.

In the color images, I preferred the ones which were processed a bit warmer compared too the cooler ones. I also preferred Goldilocks saturation (not too hot, not too cold).

As to the catch light, @Hendrik , @mike3996 , @Rob R , and @RichardC (#2) all recovered a hint of the latent sky reflection, but only @kae1 really nailed it. And without that detail, the eye just seems dead.

And so. . .

Winner: The rest of @kae1 's processing on his color entry was pleasing, too, so he is our winner. Congratulations, Ken!

Runner-up: This surprised me, but I quite enjoyed @RichardC 's 2nd entry with the woven brick texture and the peachy background hue. Nicely done, Richard!

Last edited:
We started this challenge just before Christmas. Even thought the rules say 5 days to post the next challenge, I am concerned that too many folks will be busy with family celebrations over the next two weeks to make it interesting.

So I suggest we freeze it until after Near Year's Day and let Ken pick it up next year, but I'll let the community decide. Rate this post "agree" if you do, and "groan" if you don't. I know this is an invitation for every other reaction under the sun, but give me a break, thanks!

Last edited:
We started this challenge just before Christmas. Even thought the rules say 5 days to post the next challenge, I am concerned that too many folks will be busy with family celebrations over the next two weeks to make it interesting.

So I suggest we freeze it until after Near Year's Day and let Ken pick it up next year, but I'll let the community decide. Rate this post "agree" if you do, and "groan" if you don't. I know this is an invitation for every other reaction under the sun, but give me a break, thanks!
I may be tempting fate, but the rate things are going, there's not going to be much else to do over Christmas other than taking the opportunity to clean the oven.

I may be tempting fate, but the rate things are going, there's not going to be much else to do over Christmas other than taking the opportunity to clean the oven.
Both points have logic. I am happy to post a 3 day "quickie" to finish on Christmas Eve and then the winner can post a "back to normal" or longer one the week after.

Last edited:
Back