Darkroom Challenge Digital Darkroom Derby #006 (Closed, Results announced)

kae1

All-Pro
Name
Ken
Start Date 8 Jan, 2022, 08:30 UTC
End Date 11 Jan 2022, 08:30 UTC

Herewith, the next Digital Darkroom Derby of 2022 which is a digital image editing/processing challenge. The rules are here. Please read them.

The basic idea is the challenge host provides a source image and participants process it to taste and post one or two entries. The host selects the winner and that winner becomes the host for the next challenge.

RAW and JPEG images are here DD 006

This is a semi rural picture I took this week with the City of Bradford in the background. The large mill on the right is Lister's Mill which was used to produce silk until the late 1990's and is now apartments. Best of luck!

P1540269.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lovely scene. It's so clear that is must be early morning. ~SSW of the city center, looking ~N? I especially like the prominent Z that leads the viewer through the scene. The near house is so bright that it arrests the eye, however. So I repainted it but let it keep its white door and window trim.

Entirely accomplished within Adobe Camera Raw. Boosted exposure a bit. Linear gradients to develop the sky and far background with modest inputs of Dehaze and Texture. Brushes to illuminate the fence but darken what I believe to be macadam. And, for the house, a couple gallons of paint and a nice 4" painter's brush not to mention time with the color replacement tool, the hue tool and some exposure tweaks at the paint shop. I'll send a bill later in the month. ;)

DDD006-1.jpg

Reduced brightness and texture in the field since I think it overwhelms the rest of the image, boosted the wall to bring out the brickwork and recropped to remove the road. The crop could also come a bit lower to include more of the wall and less of the sky. The central band got some dehazing and texture boost to try to draw more attention to this element but it's difficult to balance boosting it sufficiently with still looking reasonably normal so I erred on the side of caution.

P1540269.jpg

This scene is just up the road from my mother in law’s care home which I’ve driven past hundreds of times but only walked past two or three. Last week for the first time I noticed the cottage. If this was in the country the cottage, trees and field would be a “Chocolate Box” picture, but being on the outskirts of a post-industrial city I felt made it a bit different. I was wondering what you’d be able to do with it and again you’ve surprised me. There’s been strong to subtle colours, nostalgia tints, crops, wall removal, re-decoration, and some lovely “arty” interpretations.

Screenshot 2022-01-11 082456.jpg

In my mind I wanted to include the city as well as the cottage and whilst I do love the severe “nostalgia” crops on the cottage I’ve sadly not chosen them for my shortlist. Unusually, for me at least, I didn’t have a view between an enhanced or an “arty” submission.

So my choices are :-
Second runner up – @mike3996 – I Like the crop and the “nostalgia” feel of the colours and contrast
First runner up – @RobD – I love the crop, and the natural feel of the colours, contrast and recovery of the road wall
Winner – @BosseBe B&W2 – Love the crop and the “lithograph” feel. This could be from the 1880’s (apart from the odd 70’s block of flats).

Congratulations @BosseBe and over to you.

Thanks for the win!
B&W is underrated in my opinion.
I will try to find a picture and have the next derby up tonight if I can.
(Hard for me to find a picture to use as my photography seems to have dried up during the pandemic.)

Back