Darkroom Challenge Digital Darkroom Derby #008 (closed, results posted)

Name
Lyle
Here is Digital Darkroom Derby #8, a digital image editing/processing challenge. The rules are here. Please read them.

Challenge ends on Monday, January 17th at 09:00 Seattle time (UTC-8}.

A sunset image from Sunny Shores (AKA Leucadia, California):

DDD008.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The RAW and JPEG source images are here: DDD008.

Am I right in assuming this was why you were AWOL for two weeks? Can't say I blame you.
More like three weeks. Glad for the sunshine and short sleeves. Glad to be home, too.

We love travel, and hope international destinations become a reasonable option again soon (even exotic destinations like the Cotswolds and the Lake District — though I’m less certain about the dodgy bits in-between ;)). We had to cancel two European trips and one to Japan because of Covid. But regardless of the pandemic, after four weeks of travel — no matter how nice — I am ready to be home.

More like three weeks. Glad for the sunshine and short sleeves. Glad to be home, too.

We love travel, and hope international destinations become a reasonable option again soon (even exotic destinations like the Cotswolds and the Lake District — though I’m less certain about the dodgy bits in-between ;)). We had to cancel two European trips and one to Japan because of Covid. But regardless of the pandemic, after four weeks of travel — no matter how nice — I am ready to be home.
I'll stand you a cream tea and scones in the Cotswolds if you're ever over :)

Not an entry (much too paranoid :)). I liked the crop in Richard's 2nd entry and wondered what it would look like if it were "crushed" vertically. I tried it and, to me, it looked to be perhaps a possibility.

View attachment 287353

I tried removing a strip of ocean to get to 5x4 composition, but it looked a bit rubbish. Wish I'd thought of squashing the staircase though. Good job.

ps. Don't be paranoid - it's all highly subjective. :)

I tried removing a strip of ocean to get to 5x4 composition, but it looked a bit rubbish. Wish I'd thought of squashing the staircase though. Good job.

ps. Don't be paranoid - it's all highly subjective. :)
A couple of Derbies ago I came just too close for comfort. And in a parallel universe, I unexpectedly won too many times, so I decided to finally learn my lesson :)

And the winner is:

@gecko , in first, second and third place, because it would have been so much easier for me to climb those short stairs from the beach.

Many thanks to all participants. You all did your best, but you were clearly outmatched.

Thanks, Rashid. We look forward to to your new challenge!

==========================

EDIT: Sorry. Technical glitch. A parallel universe was leaking through, I think.

Thanks to everyone who put in an entry. I was afraid the field would be thin, but @RichardC 's authoritative "bump" was sufficient to tease out the last submissions. Thanks, Richard!

I have to admit that I think the sunset was the star of this image, with the staircase as a strong supporting foreground element. Because it was sunset, I found I preferred the color renditions to the monochrome. I found @BosseBe 's time machine version interesting, but the bottom was just too dark for me. I was hoping Bo might do some work on it on it that might convince me B&W was the way to go.

Results:

Honorable mentions:

@kae1 #1 -- I understand trying to center the sun horizontally, but what the crop did to the staircase bothered me.​
@mike3996 -- nice work on the god rays.​
@betamax -- very nice contrast and color, but the uncorrected barrel distortion of the horizon put me off a bit.​

2nd Runner-Up: @RichardC #1 -- beautiful OTT rendering, like a painting.
1st Runner-Up: @Zeus1 -- very dramatic take on the light from the sunset.

WINNER: @BosseBe #1 -- It may seem mild compared to some of the others, but this one did it for me because it is the closest to capturing the moment in my memory.

Your turn again, Bo.

Last edited:
Back