Darkroom Challenge Digital Darkroom Derby #009 - Closed, Winner announced.

BosseBe

Top Veteran
Here is Digital Darkroom Derby #009, a digital image editing/processing challenge. The rules are here. Please read them.

Challenge ends on Thursday 20 January at 18:00 CET.

This was taken in Cisco UT, it looks like an abandoned place but the citizens claim it is not abandoned.
P1020188_DxO_Web.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
The files for this derby can be found here: DDD009.

Colorful character recalling its faded glory.

DDD009.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I just knew that someday an image would come along that almost made sense with selective color. Processing largely accomplished in Adobe Camera Raw. Masking in Photoshop. Two smart objects, one hypersaturated (for the painting) the other heavily desaturated. Black and White layer in Photoshop reduced in opacity to leave just enough color to be (to me) unsettling. Ghost towns are, after all, unsettled.

Maybe not the most inspiring picture to work on as we had only 10 entries from 6 participants.
But good job everyone!

An early decision in my judging was that B&W was not what I liked for this one, so that meant 6 down 4 to go.
(Despite my reputation as a B&W lover, not all pictures benefit from B&W in my opinion.)

2nd runner-up is @betamax #1.
1st runner-up is @kae1 #1.
And Winner is @Hendrik the only selective color entry, so it not a B&W that wins but something in between.

Over to you @Hendrik.

I am using XnView MP to do the judging, it is easy to set scores (Ctrl-number) and you can filter the pictures that you see easily.

Wow! Very unexpected – but thanks! There was some great B&W stuff in the mix and to have that ejected in the first round by no other than Bo... Hardly thinkable.

I'll have a root around the hard drives and see what needs help. I need to remember that any camera is fair. Back in a bit with DDD010.

Back