Darkroom Challenge Digital Darkroom Derby #028 - Winner announced!

kae1

All-Pro
Name
Ken
Welcome to challenge number 28 in the Digital Darkroom Derby.

Rules are here, please read them.

One of many pictures I took a couple of weeks ago at the KWVR Steam Gala which needs a bit of work.
P3120021.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

JPEG and RAW files are at #DDD 028

Am not around on Saturday so challenge closes a bit later on Sunday 3rd April at 8:00am (BST, UTC +1).

Best of luck.

Hi Hendrik - I used a combination of the method shown here
and also the healing brush tool.
Just to add, for what it's worth, that if you are using the healing brush and are "removing" something straight (like power lines) then I find it easier to click on the beginning of the line,, then shift-click on the end (instead of trying to trace over the line.

Hopefully you all enjoyed the challenge as much as I enjoyed looking at your different submissions. From my perspective the point of entering these challenges is to learn from others and improve my skills. Your submissions plus Piano’s excellent tip on removing power lines has added other techniques to my knowledge. So thank you all!

I had an open mind on this picture as I’d attempted both colour and B&W versions but what I wanted to see was if there was a different way of removing the “distraction” of the power/phone feature. In my view there were four camps of submission – remove them, go for variations of B&W, a tighter crop to make the engine/steam the key focal point and the lines a feature, or a bit of the previous three.

Screenshot 2022-04-03 070231.jpg

My podium is :-
2nd runner up – @BosseBe #2 – Like the B&W, the crop, contrast and sharpness
1st runner up – @DeeJayK – Like the crop, partial removal of lines, the steam and the coloured border

Winner – @Piano – Like the crop, the removal of lines, the steam and realistic colours

Congratulations Nigel and over to you for the next challenge!.

Back