Darkroom Challenge Digital Darkroom Derby #029 WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Piano

Top Veteran
Name
Nigel
Welcome to challenge number 29 in the Digital Darkroom Derby.

Rules are here, please read them.

Here's a picture taken in Dubrovnik. The colour isn't right, the sky is awful and it needs a bit of work.

_DSF3128 1000px tall.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Link to .jpg and .dng files #DDD029

Contest will close 12:30am BST

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a wonderful family holiday in Dubrovnik probably the year before the hoards of Game of Thrones fans descended. Highlight was drinks perched (literally) at a bar on the rocks outside the city walls accessed via a 4-foot hole in the wall!

Anyway, impossible to get the roof colours right - super vibrant terracotta but here's my attempt.

_DSF3128.jpeg

DDC29B.jpg

Tried to bring the sky in gently; the variation of color almost makes it look like the original was a scan, but I think from the foreground it was not. Corrected the distortion of the tower at the left as best as I could. After seeing some of the other entries, I kinda wish I'd pulled that sign at the bottom in a bit more.

Thanks to everyone who had a go at improving this image. I wasn't fussed whether it was a colour, mono or creative effort and we've got a lot of variations.

It's funny how peoples' personal interpretation of how the colour should look will provide so many alternatives.

In 2nd reserve place - kae1 colour version. I like the levels on this edit and the overall colour looks good. The foreground is well balanced with the rest of the image too.
In 1st reserve place - Ektar - Again the levels and balance between foreground and background have been well dealt with.
1st place - BosseBe entry #2. I like the levels of light & shade you've introduced to accentuate certain areas. I do that myself and it's worked well here. OVER TO YOU!

Here's what I ended up with after not being able to decide on the colour palette :-

mono.jpg

Last edited:
Well, Thank you @Piano, I think, maybe, now I have to host the next one and I have no picture in mind!
But I will try to find one tonight and post the next Derby.

I had to look up what I had done, I have only worked on the sky with control points to bring it out more, no other local corrections.
I did change the White Balance a bit and did up the exposure, but otherwise it is just my standard recipe for DxO PL5.
(Clearview, Contrast, Gamma and DeepPRIME NR as that involves the demosaicing. I might have missed something I did.)

Back