Darkroom Challenge Digital Darkroom Derby #123 - Closed - Winner announced!

betamax

Top Veteran
Name
Alan
This is Digital Darkroom Derby #123, a digital image editing/processing challenge.

Please read the rules here. Short version: Host provides the challenge image and selects the winner, who then becomes the next host.
_MG_3975.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is an abandoned lighthouse near Culburra in NSW.

The RAW (DNG) and JPG files are here: DDD123

The challenge will close 9pm Saturday 3rd June AEST (approx 10am Saturday UTC).

This is Digital Darkroom Derby #123, a digital image editing/processing challenge.

Please read the rules here. Short version: Host provides the challenge image and selects the winner, who then becomes the next host.
View attachment 391095
This is an abandoned lighthouse near Culburra in NSW.

The RAW (DNG) and JPG files are here: DDD123

The challenge will close 9pm Saturday 3rd June AEST (approx 10am Saturday UTC).

It bears a resemblance in design to this lighthouse at Cape Meares, Oregon

20583916621_171b380beb_b.jpg

Entry #1: (Back home safely after a 4,500km round trip entirely within the State of Queensland)

First ran the DNG file through DxO PureRAW 3 to perform a bit of lens correction, before importing the resulting DNG file into Capture One Pro 23. Then performed a bit of Keystone correction on the verticals, warmed up the white balance, performed some Highlight and Shadow recovery. I thought that the blue of the sky was a bit too saturated and so masked out the blue of the sky and increased the Lightness.

_MG_3975-dng.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
There were so many different interpretations and so it was hard to compare one image against another.

I preferred the entries that tried to fix the roof and remove some of the graffiti. In this regard, one entry stood above the rest - Lyle’s restoration of the light house - not only putting the roof right, but the light back onto the tower, but working with the existing railing, rather than the hexagonal (?) shaped railing of the original. Pretty impressive and so earns Lyle the baton for the next challenge!

1st runner up - it’s a tie between Rob and Larry’s, then Copescamera what looks like the sinister rendition.

They were all great! Thank you to everyone that participated, and back to you @WhidbeyLVR

Sorry. I somehow missed this yesterday.

Thank you, @betamax , for hosting the challenge and for top honors.

I am hoping I can trade back a hosting duties exchange with Larry, @griffljg , as I am a bit short on time this weekend. Would that work, Larry? Otherwise, it will be tomorrow before I can get a new challenge posted. Thanks.

#1 PL6/Viewpoint

View attachment 391463

Non- entry, just for comparison. PL6 > ShiftN perceptive correction Free but Windows only)

View attachment 391467
Have you tried using a slight “volume deformation” correction in DxO in conjunction with the perspective adjustment? It can sometimes take a bit of the edge off of the corner stretch with perspective correction. Play with it and see if you like it.

I chose not to adjust the geometry, as I was adding even more height to the tower with the lamp room.

Have you tried using a slight “volume deformation” correction in DxO in conjunction with the perspective adjustment? It can sometimes take a bit of the edge off of the corner stretch with perspective correction. Play with it and see if you like it.

I chose not to adjust the geometry, as I was adding even more height to the tower with the lamp room.
No, I have just done one or the othr but not both.

Back