kae1

Top Veteran
Name
Ken
Start Date
Nov 19, 2023
End Date
Nov 22, 2023
These challenges are open to everyone. If you have any interest in practicing or improving your image editing and post-processing skills, please feel free to join in!

Please read the rules here. Short version: Host provides the challenge image and selects the winner, who then becomes the next host.

This processing challenge is from qualifying at this year's British round of MotoGP. Due to the weather (wet, windy and cold) plus need to shoot one handed (umbrella in other hand) I was using my bridge camera (which survived the experience). Let's see what post processing can do.

P1140066.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Challenge closes at 12:00 UTC on Wednesday 22nd November.

RAW and JPEG files are here #162

For anyone interested this was 24 hours earlier - same bike, same corner, different camera!
P8041189a.jpg

Entry #1:

First ran the raw file through DxO PureRAW 3, mainly for lens correction purposes, before importing the resulting DNG file into Capture One for further editing.

Fiddled around with Exposure, Contrast, Brightness, Highlight recovery and Shadow recovery, before masking out the subject and performing further Shadow recovery, adding Clarity using the "Punch" method and increasing the Saturation. Cropped to get rid of as much of the foreground annoyances as I could and then further cropped to give the photo more balance.

P1140066-RW2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The majority of my photography relates to motorsports and I appreciate it is not everyone's "cup of tea"!. It is only in the last couple of year where I've attempted shooting in the rain. The downside is the risk to my kit but the upsides are that riders generally have clear visors, there is spray and sometimes reflections from the wet track. This image was with the equivalent of 600mm but still quite a distance from the track so some sort of cropping is always required.

I found it very helpful to look at how you would process my image and thank you all for your submissions. Even though there were only four of you I could make arguments for selecting any one as my winner.
@Zeus1 - I like the crop and removal of the fence, the clear visor, the level of contrast and B&W
@griffljg - I like the crop (especially #2), the colour saturation, and the clarity created in spite of the rain
@WhidbeyLVR - I like the crop showing the track of the tyres, the clear visor, and the colour
@BosseBe - I like both images, the reflections in the track, the clear visor (especially in B&W) and the level of contrast

1700670883105.png

However, I choose Hendrik as my winner, and joint runners up as Larry, Lyle and Bo.

Congratulations Hendrik, and over to you for the next challenge. (y)

Here is my attempt which I need to revisit:blush:
P1140066_DxO.jpg

Well, for somebody who is NOT Interested in any kind of motorsport and has never before tried to take a picture of it, and then being selected as winner….
In any case appreciated, Ken.
But…tomorrow I’m leaving on 2 weeks R&R (Cologne christmas markets with the family, followed by a Caribbean cruise on the ClubMed clipper :cool:). So I wll be unable to host and judge the next competition. Ken, You will have to decide who will be the Japanese volunteer.

Back early, so I started the next challenge:

The majority of my photography relates to motorsports and I appreciate it is not everyone's "cup of tea"!. It is only in the last couple of year where I've attempted shooting in the rain. The downside is the risk to my kit but the upsides are that riders generally have clear visors, there is spray and sometimes reflections from the wet track. This image was with the equivalent of 600mm but still quite a distance from the track so some sort of cropping is always required.

I found it very helpful to look at how you would process my image and thank you all for your submissions. Even though there were only four of you I could make arguments for selecting any one as my winner.
@Zeus1 - I like the crop and removal of the fence, the clear visor, the level of contrast and B&W
@griffljg - I like the crop (especially #2), the colour saturation, and the clarity created in spite of the rain
@WhidbeyLVR - I like the crop showing the track of the tyres, the clear visor, and the colour
@BosseBe - I like both images, the reflections in the track, the clear visor (especially in B&W) and the level of contrast

View attachment 430765

However, I choose Hendrik as my winner, and joint runners up as Larry, Lyle and Bo.

Congratulations Hendrik, and over to you for the next challenge. (y)

Here is my attempt which I need to revisit:blush:
View attachment 430764
Ken, I've tried a number of times over several sessions go get a reasonable edit, but I failed miserably. This was likely the most difficult Challenge I've tried. Which, to me, means it was a good one.

Ken, I've tried a number of times over several sessions go get a reasonable edit, but I failed miserably. This was likely the most difficult Challenge I've tried. Which, to me, means it was a good one.
Rashid, Thank you for the "compliment" - I've got a few (hundred) more if you want to have a go ;) .

For me being pushed out of my processing "comfort zone" is the beauty of these challenges.

Rashid, Thank you for the "compliment" - I've got a few (hundred) more if you want to have a go ;) .

For me being pushed out of my processing "comfort zone" is the beauty of these challenges.
Thank you, Ken. I understand what you are saying, but I could not get a reasonable result; for one thing, I was not sure whether I should aim for a "rainy" photo or a clear one-- I tried both but I succeeded in neither :).

Back