Darkroom Challenge Digital Darkroom Derby #193. Results posted.

gecko

Top Veteran
Name
Rashid
Start Date
Apr 14, 2024
End Date
Apr 17, 2024
This is Digital Darkroom Derby #193, a digital image editing/processing challenge.

These challenges are open to everyone. If you have any interest in practicing or improving your image editing and post-processing skills, please feel free to join in!

Please read the rules here. Short version -> Host provides the challenge image and selects the winner, who then becomes the next host.

I recently took some snapshots of the courthouse in Pittsboro, North Carolina. I chose one photo for the Challenge.

_3264860_challenge.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Raw file: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/h3vu...4860.ORF?rlkey=g736potbxm3ci8c23qmdp4ap2&dl=0

JPEG file: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ryps...4860.JPG?rlkey=ea8loyapxf8exsu3nwvjvfbza&dl=0

This challenge will end on Wednesday, 17th of April 2024 at 6 PM US Eastern Time (22 hours UTC/GMT).
Thank you for contributing.

Last edited:
Thanks for that image Rashid. There is opportunity for a fair bit of editing to be done. - Highlight and shadow recovery, to crop or not to crop and how much, lens correction, noise control and perspective correction. I wish I had never raised the vertical correction issue in keystone correction. What's seen cannot be unseen. Now I'll always look at Richard's approach and check whether clock faces are circular or not. ;)

Entry #1:

Imported the raw file into Capture One. Performed the automatic keystone correction...... Whoops! That was a bit overdone. Wound back the keystone correction a bit to make the image a bit more "credible". Then did a lot of HDR stuff in highlight recovery (brought out some detail and colour in the sky) and shadow recovery (it was nice to see what was in the shadows). Added a bit of contrast and some clarity using the "Punch" method. Still felt the image looked a bit "dead" and so added some saturation. Finally cropped the image to get rid of some distractions around the edges.

_3264860.jpg

Last edited:
Entry #2:

Looking at Entry #1, I was surprised at how much noise there was in a 400 ISO image and so resorted to my "security blanket" of first passing the raw file through DxO PureRAW 4 before importing the resulting DNG file into Capture One Pro for further editing / processing as per Entry #1.

_3264860-ORF.jpg

The Challenge is now closed. Many thanks for all the beautiful entries. I am very happy that David (@Peano) finally decided to submit one of his beautiful renditions (or did he?)
I'll try to do the last and hardest part of my job tomorrow.
Thank you all again.

As usual, all entries were, to my eyes, beautifully done. I had hoped that more entries would "remove" the street and other signs in front of the building, but I guess that is a debatable point, as keeping the signs would be more authentic. There were differences in the amount of cropping, based on whether taking out distractions or showing the building in its setting was deemed more important. I had great difficulty in deciding as always, and my choice was somewhat different each time I looked at them. But ultimately I chose based on my personal preference the last time I went over them.
Honorable mention has to go to @Peano's non-entries.
2nd runner up: @MSPhotography entry #1. I liked the wider crop.
1st runner up: @Zeus1. I liked the inclusion of the amount of foreground.
Winner: @kae1. I liked the wider crop all round, and the removal of the street signs in front of the Courthouse.
So over to you, Ken.

My effort:

_3264860_DxOidcLL3.jpg

For what it may be worth, one note about geometric correction if I may: I think I've over-corrected in that I corrected for keystone distortion, but in addition I made horizontal lines horizontal, as though the camera were placed squarely centered in front of the building. However, clearly the camera position was closer to the left edge of the building and was relatively close, which means that that the left end, being closer than the right end, should appear somewhat larger than the right. Most of the entries got that right. I made the size of the building the same throughout. I thought it looked better that way, even as it was incorrect. Having said all that, I realize that my reasoning may be faulty, and would be happy to be put right.

Last edited:
As usual, all entries were, to my eyes, beautifully done. I had hoped that more entries would "remove" the street and other signs in front of the building, but I guess that is a debatable point, as keeping the signs would be more authentic. There were differences in the amount of cropping, based on whether taking out distractions or showing the building in its setting was deemed more important. I had great difficulty in deciding as always, and my choice was somewhat different each time I looked at them. But ultimately I chose based on my personal preference the last time I went over them.
Honorable mention has to go to @Peano's non-entries.
2nd runner up: @MSPhotography entry #1. I liked the wider crop.
1st runner up: @Zeus1. I liked the inclusion of the amount of foreground.
Winner: @kae1. I liked the wider crop all round, and the removal of the street signs in front of the Courthouse.
So over to you, Ken.

My effort:

View attachment 462591
For what it may be worth, one note about geometric correction if I may: I think I've over-corrected in that I corrected for keystone distortion, but in addition I made horizontal lines horizontal, as though the camera were placed squarely centered in front of the building. However, clearly the camera position was closer to the left edge of the building and was relatively close, which means that that the left end, being closer than the right end, should appear somewhat larger than the right. Most of the entries got that right. I made the size of the building the same throughout. I thought it looked better that way, even as it was incorrect. Having said all that, I realize that my reasoning may be faulty, and would be happy to be put right.

Distortion correction has to be done on a case by case basis. I rarely use the automatic tools.

You have 2 two point perspective (see link below) - you can see the side of the clock tower base. If you only correct the verticals using the guided transform tool in Lightroom, then Adobe takes care of this for you. It can start to look peculiar if you manipulate the horizontal lines too - but if you have a lot of lens distortion, sometimes you have to.

This is how I was taught about perspective in technical drawing at school. If you place your first vertical/corner to the left or right of centre, the horizontal angles will be different, leaving the perspective to take care of itself.

Back