Darkroom Challenge Digital Darkroom Derby #208 (closed, results posted)

WhidbeyLVR

Hall of Famer
Name
Lyle
Start Date
Jun 22, 2024
End Date
Jun 26, 2024
This is Digital Darkroom Derby #208, a digital image editing/processing challenge.

These challenges are open to everyone. If you have any interest in practicing or improving your image editing and post-processing skills, please feel free to join in!

Please read the rules here. Short version: Host provides the challenge image and selects the winner, who then becomes the next host.

Let's stick with avian subjects. This is a portrait of Rico, a green-winged macaw. He is a tamed bird for tourists at a hotel on Kauai. I like going there for parrot portraits. The birds are laid-back and seem happy to pose.

DDD208-web.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Yeah. It's dark. The shot before this one was against a bright background, and I had made a -1EV exposure adjustment, which I failed to cancel:

P2220619-web.jpg

So this is yet another "Save my shot!" challenge. I hope you all have fun!

The RAW and JPEG files are here.

The challenge will close at 12:00 (noon) Pacific Daylight Time on Wednesday, June 26th.

Last edited:
Entry #1:

What a beautiful bird! Fortunately the fairly decent dynamic range of that old sensor makes it easy to recover the detail in the shadows.

I adopted my usual workflow procedure:

ORF file -> DxO PureRAW 4 (Lens Correction and Noise Reduction) -> DNG file -> Capture One Pro (Exposure, Contrast , HDR tweaking, Cropping, Clarity) -> JPEG file.

The bright background behind the bird caused me a bit of a problem as the darkened background to its left and right encroached just a bit too close for my liking. So I rotated the image just a bit and then cropped the darker parts of the background out.

DDD208-ORF.jpg

Pretty bird. As usual, edited raw file in DxO PL7 then tweaked resulting tiff file in Elements (with ON1 Effects and Topaz Photo AI as plug-ins). Used Elements guided mode for adding sky as background (imperfect execution :) ). Re-edited original entry (I decided that the blue sky was too saturated).

DDD208_DxOidcLL2.jpg

Last edited:
Everybody is a winner this time! Noone was troubled by the dark original image. I enjoyed all the posts and the variety of background mods/replacements employed. There were almost as many out-of-contest posts as there were actual entries. There were 7 entries from 5 competitors, so I won't belabor things. . .

Winner: @RobD . I liked the colors, the simple background, and especially the off-center crop.​
2nd Place: @griffljg #1. Using a crop to simplify the background was clever. Nice processing.​
3rd place is a 3-way tie of @kae1 #1, @doobs and @gecko . Nice entries, all!​

@Peano : all the variations were nice, but my favorite was the 2nd with the golden spotlight glow on the dark background.

@Zeus1 : I hope your vacation goes splendidly. Thanks for taking the time to play along. Nice post!

Over to you, Rob!

Everybody is a winner this time! Noone was troubled by the dark original image. I enjoyed all the posts and the variety of background mods/replacements employed. There were almost as many out-of-contest posts as there were actual entries. There were 7 entries from 5 competitors, so I won't belabor things. . .

Winner: @RobD . I liked the colors, the simple background, and especially the off-center crop.​
2nd Place: @griffljg #1. Using a crop to simplify the background was clever. Nice processing.​
3rd place is a 3-way tie of @kae1 #1, @doobs and @gecko . Nice entries, all!​

@Peano : all the variations were nice, but my favorite was the 2nd with the golden spotlight glow on the dark background.

@Zeus1 : I hope your vacation goes splendidly. Thanks for taking the time to play along. Nice post!

Over to you, Rob!
Thanks for the win Lyle! I will search for a suitable image challenge and get it up soon.

Back