RobD

Veteran
Name
Robert Davidson
Start Date
Jun 27, 2024
End Date
Jun 30, 2024
Welcome to the Digital Darkroom Derby #209, a digital image editing/processing challenge. The rules are here. Please read them.
Challenge ends on Sunday 30th of June at midday AEST.
The raw and jpeg can be found here: PhotoChallenge
P1650065 copysm.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Start Date 27th June

End Date 30th June

Welcome to the Digital Darkroom Derby #209, a digital image editing/processing challenge. The rules are here. Please read them.
View attachment 478501
Rob, if you edit the thread and set the start/end dates in the widget, the challenge will be listed in the home page.

View attachment 478501
With its brown back and white side markings, this bird looks like a common moorhen rather than the dusky moorhen (swamp hen?). But Australia is usually considered outside of their range. Can you shed any light on this?

With its brown back and white side markings, this bird looks like a common moorhen rather than the dusky moorhen (swamp hen?). But Australia is usually considered outside of their range. Can you shed any light on this?
Hi Lyle, yes this is a dusky moorhen (I had to look that up), we have them in Australia. I know them as Coots, we have them with white beaks and shield and red also.

Hi Lyle, yes this is a dusky moorhen (I had to look that up), we have them in Australia. I know them as Coots, we have them with white beaks and shield and red also.
Apologies, my previous message is wrong. I have just found in my archives that the photo was taken in London back in 2015, so this would be the common Moorhen. Like I said we have Coots with red and white beaks. Cheers, Rob

DxO PL7 processed. Tried to balance the tonal quality of bird by lightening shadow on head/neck and reducing highlights on the brown back. Cropped and vignette.
Added *_3 version to photoshop out the distracting (to me) reflection.

Attachments

• P1650065-wander.jpg
    P1650065-wander.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 3
  • P1650065-wander_3.jpg
    P1650065-wander_3.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Not competing, just experimenting. At the outset, I found my eye wandering back and forth between the bright coloring of the duck and the similar bright coloring of the lily pads. So I tried removing the pads, and that made the image feel like it's unambiguously about that duck. Which I liked. To move it a little further in that direction, I made the light more dramatic. ACR/PS

duck-1920.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you all for contributing, all nice entries making it s close comp.
As always David your "not competing" entry was very good! And also welcome to new comer Wandering!

Well now down to my favourites -
Winner - Ken #1 - nice crop
Runner up - Lyle #1
2nd Runner up - Larry #1

My attempt below -
P1650065-Enhanced-NR copy.jpg

Back