Darkroom Challenge Digital Darkroom Derby #37 (closed, results posted)

Name
Lyle
This is Digital Darkroom Derby #37, a digital image editing/processing challenge. Please read the rules here.

DDD037_web.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It has been awhile since I hosted a bird challenge. Here is a Northern Mockingbird image (with a few problems). See if you can make it better.

The RAW and JPEG source images are here: DDD037

I am adding extra time to this challenge. The challenge will close at at the end of the day on Saturday, May 7th. I will post the results sometime on Sunday.

@betamax : I preferred your first entry. The Topaz Oil Paint was interesting, but it made the background brighter and more colorful while softening detail on the bird, which made the subject harder to see. I'm glad you posted the other topaz version, as well. I thought the swirly version was interesting and did elevate the subject compared to the background, but since it is out-of-contest, I'll leave it at that.

@kae1 : I preferred the color over the B&W. The processing was good on both, but monochrome didn't elevate the subject for me.

@RobD : Nice entry. The brightest, I think . Good detail.

@BosseBe : I thought both of your entries seemed notably dark this time. I checked on multiple devices. Is your monitor adjusted too bright?

@gecko : The Craquelure filter was too strong for me. I found it interesting, but distracting.

My top three picks were color versions from Alan, Ken and Rob. They all showed decent exposure, very good detail in the feathers and eye. It was very difficult to choose among them, but here goes:

Winner: @betamax #1. By darkening the background compared to the subject, I thought it was the easiest to view.​
2nd Place: @kae1 #1. By toning down the color saturation of the background, you helped isolate the subject for me.​
3rd Place: @RobD . Nice version, and very close in the running.​

Thanks again to everyone who joined in. I look forward to seeing what Alan brings us next.

Back