Darkroom Challenge Digital Darkroom Derby #38 - Winner announced

kae1

All-Pro
Name
Ken
This is Digital Darkroom Derby #38, a digital image editing/processing challenge. Please read the rules here.

Bit of a drab day back in January.
P1541008.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RAW file is here P1541008.RW2
JPEG file is here P1541008.JPG

The challenge closes on Thursday 12th May at 12:00 BST.

I though this might look good square so cropped it. Took into camera raw and adjusted the white balance, black and white point, vibrance and shadows. Opened in PS and darkened the smoke using TK action panel. Back into Camera Raw for a vignette, then high pass sharpened

P1541008.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This was one frame from a burst which I took as the train pulled into the station. Initially, the gent on the left, the Station Master (SM) wasn’t in shot, but as the train moved up the platform, he moved down it! What I wanted to see from your submissions was two things – firstly what would you do with him and secondly want would you do with the steam.

As usual I wasn’t disappointed with your submissions. The SM was left alone, cropped out and removed by digital trickery and the steam was dramatised to different degrees. I had a preference for the images which brightened up the engine and was happy with either colour or B&W. I also didn’t have a strong view on what to do with the SM as long as it didn’t spoil the balance of the image.

Screenshot 2022-05-12 124544.jpg

My choices are :-

2nd runner up – @Juggernaut – I liked the “nostalgic look – this could have been a postcard from the 1940’s

1st runner up - @BosseBe #1 - I liked the colours, the lightness and contrast, the steam and inclusion of the Station Master

Winner - @WhidbeyLVR #1 - I loved the colours, the lightness, contrast, and the steam but was bowled over at your replacement of the Station Master. The creation of the stone door frame and drain pipe was unbelievable - the first shot from the burst is below which shows you what it looks like without being covered.

P1540990.JPG

Congratulations Lyle, and over to you.

This was one frame from a burst which I took as the train pulled into the station. Initially, the gent on the left, the Station Master (SM) wasn’t in shot, but as the train moved up the platform, he moved down it! What I wanted to see from your submissions was two things – firstly what would you do with him and secondly want would you do with the steam.

As usual I wasn’t disappointed with your submissions. The SM was left alone, cropped out and removed by digital trickery and the steam was dramatised to different degrees. I had a preference for the images which brightened up the engine and was happy with either colour or B&W. I also didn’t have a strong view on what to do with the SM as long as it didn’t spoil the balance of the image.

View attachment 310116

My choices are :-

2nd runner up – @Juggernaut – I liked the “nostalgic look – this could have been a postcard from the 1940’s

1st runner up - @BosseBe #1 - I liked the colours, the lightness and contrast, the steam and inclusion of the Station Master

Winner - @WhidbeyLVR #1 - I loved the colours, the lightness, contrast, and the steam but was bowled over at your replacement of the Station Master. The creation of the stone door frame and drain pipe was unbelievable - the first shot from the burst is below which shows you what it looks like without being covered.

View attachment 310118

Congratulations Lyle, and over to you.
Thanks, Ken. It was an interesting image to work on. The reconstruction project was a bit complicated, but I just wanted to see if I could do it convincingly. I may have gotten carried away with it. I will pass on one or two pieces of my experience from that effort.

First, after cutting and pasting snippets of the brickwork on the right of the drainpipe to fill in the gap of the Station Master, I used a vertical shear tool to roughly match the angle of the perspective for the track-facing brick edges. I didn’t try to match it perfectly, but just enough to not draw attention to perspective differences.

Second, to recreate the brickwork to the left of the drainpipe, I used copies of upper and lower sections from the right side (different sized bricks), but I didn’t mirror-flip them. A mirror flip tends to catch the eye as being a reflection. So I rotated the copied segments 180 degrees instead. It was less obvious that way.

I will look for a suitable image for the next challenge.

Back