Darkroom Challenge Digital Darkroom Derby #42 (closed, winner announced)

Name
Lyle
This is Digital Darkroom Derby #42, a digital image editing/processing challenge. Please read the rules here.

This challenge is being hosted by @Stiga (Martin), who had some problems starting a new thread. This is a bracketed set of 3 of an ash tree near his house.

setof3-jpg.312763

RAW images can be downloaded here
JPEG images can be downloaded here

Martin needs to provide an end date and time for the challenge.

Maybe @MoonMind can change ownership of this thread directly to @Stiga .

Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
[...]

Maybe @MoonMind can change ownership of this thread directly to @Stiga .

Have fun!
I'm not actually able to do that (nor did it ever occur to me that one should be able to), but I see the point - maybe @Kevin can do that? In any case, solid attempt at helping out - thanks!

Anyhow, something seems to have gone wrong with image posting (or displaying) - I sort of fixed this by re-inserting the link to the file. Downloads work, btw. - they're hosted off-site.

M.

I'm not actually able to do that (nor did it ever occur to me that one should be able to), but I see the point - maybe @Kevin can do that? In any case, solid attempt at helping out - thanks!

Anyhow, something seems to have gone wrong with image posting (or displaying) - I sort of fixed this by re-inserting the link to the file. Downloads work, btw. - they're hosted off-site.

M.
Thanks, Matt!

Martin needs to provide an end date and time for the challenge.
@Stiga, Martin, you need to decide on a time to end this challenge, I guess the date is fine (30/5) but we don't know at what hour the challenge closes.
A tip, pick a time when you know you will have time to do the judging right away. I usually pick a time in the evening after work so I have the rest of the evening to do the judging.
Thanks for hosting this and for the beautiful picture to play with.

Crunch time. Firstly I'd like to thank everyone for entering and also for all the compliments about my image set

Dinobe #1 - no detail beyond fence and trees,. No processing infor :-(

Zeus1 #1 Ah, Photomatix! Haven't seen mention of that app in ages. A bit pale and the grass seems desaturated

#2 I prefer this, it's punchy

WhidbeyLVR #1 Good colour rendering. Exceelent job for only one of the three images

BosseBe #1 Grass a tad too yellopw (did you use the "warm landscape preset?) Flare in top L corner has increased!

#2 Prefer this nikHDR version, good grteen

RobD #1 Excellent work with Aurora, good green grass color

#2 A bit "flat" could do with more punch

kae1 #1 Good effort as you only used 1 image

#2 Good, punchu B&W

Rose McGil #1 Simple treatment, good result

gecko #1 For me, a bluish B&W does not suit a verdanjt scene

On the wole I preferd the entries where 2 or 3 images had been tonemapped. Surprisingly, nobody use Lightroom's HDR photo merge. I don't have it but know it is easy to use and gives consistent results

So, I choose RobD as the winner. That was an easy pick, second plave was more difficult; eventually I chose kae1 #1

For the record here is my version processed almost exactly 3 years ago using SNS HDR followed by Photoshop tweaks. (But I prefer RobD's version)

3992b1838a758c_899282.duck.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back