Darkroom Challenge Digital Darkroom Derby #48 (Results posted).

gecko

Top Veteran
Name
Rashid
This is Digital Darkroom Derby #48, a digital image editing/processing challenge.
Please read the rules here. Short version: Host provides the challenge image and selects the winner, who then becomes the next host.

Photo taken in 2012 at the "Got to be NC" festival in Raleigh, NC.

_5180593_Challenge.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

jpeg file: _5180593.JPG
raw file: _5180593.ORF

Challenge closes Friday, June 24, 2022 at 6 PM EDT (10 PM GMT).
Thank you for participating.

Last edited:
Hmmm.... I thought the most important thing to do was remove distractions from the main event... and that included the cow's arse from just above the girl's head!!!
Hefty crop, reduce the temperature, change the white t-shirt and ribbon, slightly brighten the deer's eyes and a heavy vignette to focus on the "deer meets girl" vibe.

Entry #1

_5180593-Edit-Edit.jpg

Entry #2

Hefty crop followed by a radial mask each for the girl and the deer... and then inverted the two masks together using the new upgrade to the Lightroom mask panel. Lowered the exposure a lot on the inverted masks, removed the... ahem... main distraction and brightened the deer's eyes with more masking.

_5180593-Edit-2.jpg

Many thanks for all entrants for showing what can be done with such a poorly composed snapshot. I am truly amazed at the varied imaginative interpretations shown by these entries. There is one more day before the Challenge closes and all are welcome to participate.

The Challenge is now closed. I'll try to divine the winnder tomorrow. It will be an essemtially impossible task as the entries are superb, as usual. Thank you all so much for entering despite the poor Challenge photo.

I had great difficulty deciding on a winner. Quite a few different approaches were taken to highlight the center of interest: the interaction between the little girl and the deer. I decided to eliminate the B&W entries despite their excellence. I had to choose, so I chose @kae1's selective color entry #1 to be the winner. For runner up I chose @Herbert Hound's first entry. Finally I want to say that I empathize completely with @RobD's comment in his first entry as I felt the same. I also would like to send Rob my best wishes for his birthday (which I learned from Richard's note above).

Congratulations Ken, over to you.

Last edited:
Back