Darkroom Challenge Digital Darkroom Derby #59 - Closed - Results Announced

Hendrik

Veteran
This is Digital Darkroom Derby #59, a digital image editing/processing challenge.

Please read the rules here. Short version: Host provides the challenge image and selects the winner, who then becomes the next host.

Let's stay with a sweeping seaside vista ;)

I've been slowly going through family slides by a number of means - dedicated slide scanner, flatbed scanner and some direct copying using various cameras. I was experimenting with using the D600 (white balance calibrated to the LED light source) on this occasion. This is a scene of a beach on Long Island Sound taken in the 80s, likely using an Olympus OM 1 or 2 on what looks to be Ektachrome.

DDD059display.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The NEF file may be found here
A Lightroom-generated JPEG may be found here

The challenge will close at 10:00 am (EDT, GMT -4) on Saturday, August 20. Contestants, man your sliders...Go!

I played with white balance and color channel curves just trying to counter the color casts at various exposure levels, then I took what I found and cranked it up to "11". To be perfectly honest, some of it is a bit imaginary or just wishful thinking.
In LightRoom? I'm a Capture One user these days - things work a bit differently. I am much impressed!
Try as I might, I got nothing approaching colours that pleased me, so I chickened out with a monochrome version (above) :D

In LightRoom? I'm a Capture One user these days - things work a bit differently. I am much impressed!
Try as I might, I got nothing approaching colours that pleased me, so I chickened out with a monochrome version (above) :D
I use DxO PhotoLab 5 for RAW conversion and Gimp with Nik and G'mic plugins for image editing. DxO's Deep Prime noise reduction is excellent for my m43 gear -- I no longer suffer from ISO insecurity. And Gimp is powerful and free.

I manned the sliders - as instructed!

Established white and black points, levels, spotted out most of the dust, cloned out the aerials, cropped. TK8 action panel to get some colour in and bring down the sky. De-noise, add a dust layer back, sharpen.

Digital Derby #59.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back