Darkroom Challenge Digital Darkroom Derby #63 (closed, results posted)

Thanks again to all entrants!

Nice work, @Peano, and a compelling result. However, I will restrict my remaining comments to the competing entries.

I am happy again at the variety of entries you have submitted. I struggled with this scene and am not fully satisfied with my results, so I can appreciate the tradeoffs you faced.

I was surprised that there were so few B&W entries -- only one, in fact. Of course it was by @BosseBe. But there appeared to be some dark smudges on either side of the lighthouse from some part of your processing.

I think this scene could work well with the right replacement sky, but I wasn't blown away by any of the ones presented. I liked @ektar 's sky best for this scene, but it seemed to be bleeding through the lighthouse, like there was a masking or mixing error.

The choice of what and where to crop or clone was another issue. The extended cliff mostly served to push the lighthouse further to the left, which might be preferable for a rule-of-thirds composition, and several of you made that choice with good results. Others chose to eliminate most of the cliff to push the lighthouse to the right, for similar compositional reasons, and were successful with that. Most of you decided the driftwood log was a detraction, since it pointed at nothing, but dominated the bottom of the scene. I preferred the cloning solution which kept the rocks in the foreground, rather than the big bottom crop.

The final piece of the puzzle was that the lighthouse was tonally similar to the sky, so some work to improve the contrast between them helped make the image easier to read.

Bonus points for straightening the horizon, which only a few of you bothered to do.

Results:

honorable mentions to @RichardC and @Hendrik . Nice entries and worthy of being in the top group.​
3rd place: tie between @Herbert Hound #1 and @gecko . Lighthouse left and right entries with the big crop off the bottom.​
2nd place: @RobD #1. Cloned out the log and good separation on the lighthouse.​
Winner: @Zeus1 #2. Square crop, cloned out log, and great separation of lighthouse from sky.​

I look forward to seeing what Hendrik brings us next.

I ultimately chose a different image from this set to process with less of a crop required:

P9010084_01_1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I was surprised that there were so few B&W entries -- only one, in fact. Of course it was by @BosseBe. But there appeared to be some dark smudges on either side of the lighthouse from some part of your processing.
I see the smudges now, sometimes it is hard to see the faults in what you have done until somebody points them out, so Thanks Lyle!
Here is a new version with another crop, no log and hopefully no smudges.
DDD063_DxO_Web_2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back