Darkroom Challenge Digital Darkroom Derby #70 - Results Posted

Some Ps adjustments

DDD070.jpg

Alrighty then! Congratulations, all, for some stalwart processing in harsh conditions. This capture had at least a trifecta of problems: not-quite-in focus (MC-20), irritating bokeh that also doesn't play well with sharpening (40-150 Pro meets its least favorite conditions), and enough noise to kill off micro-contrast and interfere with detail recovery in the fur. There were a couple of frames in full sun in which these problems largely disappeared. I looked for those entries that I thought best dealt with the image's defects. This includes the strange ISO choice made by the camera. For me, when it comes to animals, I find I appreciate naturalness more often than punch or surprise.

My choices for the winners' stand go thus:

Special mention to @Taneli for the dynamic crop. If only the pixels would allow this 😞
Special mention to @RobD for the punch-up

Second runners-up, equally, @Taneli & @gecko Hardly interchangeable but equally enjoyable.
First runner-up, @Herbert Hound, second entry. The zoom back and muted colors made this easy to look at.

Winner, @griffljg It works for me! Take it away, Larry.

When I was looking for the challenge file, I had a quick bash through the image to make certain it wouldn't be a pushover. When I was confronted with choosing, I had to sit down with it to see how close to plausible I could persuade it. This was my final process.

With one exception, exposure adjustments were made in Adobe Camera Raw. White balance changed to Shade - the kits were illuminated by a clear blue sky. With the new masking tool, I masked for the background and applied negative clarity to mitigate some of the bokeh problems. I also turned ACR's standard capture sharpening off. From Photoshop, I took a copy of the file once through Topaz DeNoise AI, turning sharpening off. I then put that edit through Topaz Sharpen AI and masked to sharpen only the animals. Back in Photoshop, I brightened the eye and open mouth of the kit on the right. I'm sure I could do more, but…

HB-1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back