Darkroom Challenge Digital Darkroom Derby #72 - CLOSED + RESULTS

Stiga

Veteran
This is Digital Darkroom Derby #72, a digital image editing/processing challenge.
Please read the rules here.
Short version: Host provides the challenge image and selects the winner, who then becomes the next host.

Thi objet d'at (?) is adjacent to the local community centre. I don't know what it signifies but it intrigues me. I captured it last Saturday morning just as the sun was disappearing behind cloud and I wonder what you can do with my bracketed set

3_images.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The RAW files are here
The JPEGs are here

The challenge will run for approximately 72 hours, finishing at 19h00 (7:00pm) UK summer time time on Thursday 13th October 2022.

Have fun!

Martin

Last edited:
This looks like fun. - I haven't yet tried to merge a series of raw files together for HDR purposes.

Here is my first attempt. - I imported the three raw files into Capture One Pro and then merged them. Capture One Pro then gave me a DNG file, which I then processed doing a bit of highlight and shadow recovery.

IMG_4233_HDR.jpg

Entry #2. Again... the darkest of the images straightened and with a different crop. This time I used a sky mask to darken and de-haze to bring out the clouds and sky for more drama... and a different colour grade. In both entries I've flattened and de-saturated the grass as I thought it was too distracting.

IMG_4232-Edit.jpg

My roundup

BosseBe
Sorry BB but I find both entries too dark and too contrasty

griffljg
I think your images is as very close to what I saw at the time; wel done!

betamax
Yes, you have enhanced the scene and made it look as if the sun was shining. I like it a lot -except that the grey tarmac (blacktop) does not look right, it's a bit pink! BTW, please tell us you you did it!

RobDD
Another one that looks how I remember it. Yes, Aurora does a good job and I like it

Herbert Hound
You have a colour cast in #1. #2 is preferable but I think the colours are bleached

gecko

For a single image job this is pretty good - but the blue sky has lost some saturation

Making a final selection was difficult.

The winner is betamax with, the 2nd and 3rd places are shared between gecko and RobD

Thank you all for your participation

Martin

well thank you Stiga! There’s something about Canon’s rendering of blue skies, I just like them, and saw similar blue patches in your photo so I thought I’d give it a go. Processed entirely in Aurora HDR using the normal and darkest image and then adjusting highlights and shadows to try and get as much of that cloud detail, with changes mostly to individual colours (HSL) to give it a little more vibrance. I did ponder creating a mask layer to adjust the colour of the canvas, but in the end I got lazy!

It’s Friday morning here, and it’s a work day for me, so I will put up something later today.

Congratulations to Alan and to Robert. Thank you, Martin: I wasn't expecting to place at all given all the excellent entries. My attempt at combining all three exposures was a complete failure. I admit that I did desaturate the sky :(

well thank you Stiga! There’s something about Canon’s rendering of blue skies, I just like them, and saw similar blue patches in your photo so I thought I’d give it a go. Processed entirely in Aurora HDR using the normal and darkest image and then adjusting highlights and shadows to try and get as much of that cloud detail, with changes mostly to individual colours (HSL) to give it a little more vibrance. I did ponder creating a mask layer to adjust the colour of the canvas, but in the end I got lazy!

It’s Friday morning here, and it’s a work day for me, so I will put up something later today.
Thank you for the PP Chapter and Verse, that means that Aurora had lot of DD success this week. Am looking forward to your next image.

Martin

Back