Darkroom Challenge Digital Darkroom Derby #78-Winners Announced

Irene McC

Legend
Start date : 07 November 2022
End date: 14 November 2022

This is Digital Darkroom Derby #78, a digital image editing/processing challenge.
Please read the rules here.
Short version: Host provides the challenge image and selects the winner, who then becomes the next host.

This image was something only very few people have been privileged to witness - I was part of a media group in 2016 representing African Pilot Magazine.
This is the control room during the launch of a Mokapa missile fired from a Rooivalk attack helicopter at the test range near Bredasdorp

IM6_3381.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

jpg and NEF raw files can be found here Dropbox - please let me know if you can download? I seem to be having some issues making it public
they are also here on WeTransfer, but that seems to want you to sign in

Last edited:
Entry #1: The Dropbox link worked fine.

I wonder if the reason they have the test range at Bredasdorp is so that, if a missile goes off target, there is nothing to hit before Antarctica. ;)

I fed this through DxO PureRAW 2 to take care of the noise, before importing the resulting DNG file into Capture One Pro. Then keystone correction, modified the white balance and then lots of shadow and highlight recovery.

IM6_3381-NEF.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
That was a real memory jerker. Thanks. I have been to Bredasdorp...... Once! Way back in December 1977. We had just finished our final year civil engineering examinations at Wits. Four of us decided to travel down to Cape Town via the scenic route to celebrate. We camped at Cape Agulhas. It was amazing standing at the most southern point of Africa, where the Atlantic Ocean meets the Indian Ocean and realise that there is absolutely nothing but ocean between you and Antarctica. We put our beer on the top step of a tidal pool to chill overnight, but reckoned without tidal action. The following morning, we had to go diving to retrieve our beer. ;)

Back