Darkroom Challenge Digital Darkroom Derby #84 - Closed - Winner announced!

betamax

Top Veteran
Name
Alan
This is Digital Darkroom Derby #84, a digital image editing/processing challenge.
Please read the rules here. Short version: Host provides the challenge image and selects the winner, who then becomes the next host.

This post was taken at Mallacuta Vic earlier this year. A lovely serene spot, but north-facing into the sun is always a bit of a challenge.

_MG_4498 copy.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Files can be found here: DDD84

Challenge closed 8pm Friday 15 December (approx 9am UTC on friday)

Not competing, just experimenting. Just for fun, I decided to go for symmetry in the foreground. A nice little cloning exercise. And there's so much fine detail below the sky, I thought a (mostly) clear sky would be less distracting.

dock-1600.jpg

Last edited:
Entry #1:

I love Mallacoota. This challenge got me looking at my old photos of the area. I was last there on New Year's Day 2019, almost exactly a year before the area was devastated by bushfires. But it is still good to see how quickly the vegetation has recovered.

Using Capture One Pro 23........

Corrected the perspective and removed that bent pipe. Then a bit of highlight and shadow recovery, combined with an increase in contrast.

_MG_4498 2.jpg

Last edited:
I love Mallacoota. This challenge got me looking at my old photos of the area. I was last there on New Year's Day 2019, almost exactly a year before the area was devastated by bushfires. But it is still good to see how quickly the vegetation has recovered
Yeah it is pretty - well, that whole South-east corner from Moruya to Mallacoota and Cann River is stunning. With so much rain (even back then ) the bush had taken over again. It was good to see the little town quiet busy for May when I was there.

thank you everyone that took part in the challenge! Of course, December 15 is Thursday, so it was time to look at the submissions. Your entries were very good, and very close to each other. I did like the less cluttered sky Peano. Makes it less distracting.

My top 3 were....

#3 goes to Larry's 2nd entry. I liked the portrait crop, works well.
#2 goes to Robert. Very natural looking colours and light and
#1 and the winner of this challenge - Hendrik's portrait crop. A nudge a head of 2 and 3, maybe it was the frame, but there's something there I can't quiet put a finger on that made it stand out for me.

Thanks again, and it's over to you @Zeus1!

Back