Darkroom Challenge Digital Darkroom Derby #92 - Winners Announced

and also a tighter crop.
_1011488_HDLUM.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks as always to everyone who took the time to enter.

A few observations for some who didn't make my shortlist.

Gerard @copescamera did a very nice job of cleaning the dirty canal water and removing the lady. The sky swap is too dark IMO - I would expect it to appear lighter than the reflection in most situations.

Kudos to Ken @kae1 for not only removing the TV aerial from the skyline, but for remembering to remove it from the reflection as well. It's important to remember the details and check for a match, especially if you are also changing a sky. This got two images demoted from my 1-2-3.

It's tempting to over-lighten the shadows and take out too much contrast. This is early morning low winter sun in a very clear sky which is why I bracketed, however despite the bracketing, it can be an extreme correction to warm up and lighten the shadows and in this case, in my view it's better to not go further than the lightest image - this also saves running into problems in selective colour correction (shadows are invariably blue).

No-one got rid of the graffiti under the bridge. I really don't like graffiti - perpetrators should be deported to somewhere reasonably remote like Saturn. They can vandalise what they like up there.

@Peano - you really should enter - I don't like judging, but I learn a lot from different people's ideas in processing my images.

So - someone needs to be declared a winner. This challenge's invisible trophy and top cashless prize are awarded to @kae1.

1st - @kae1 entry 1.
2nd - @WhidbeyLVR
3rd - @Rose McGill entry 2

Your turn to host Ken.

Last edited:
Thanks as always to everyone who took the time to enter.

A few observations for some who didn't make my shortlist.

Gerard @copescamera did a very nice job of cleaning the dirty canal water and removing the lady. The sky swap is too dark IMO - I would expect it to appear lighter than the reflection in most situations.

Kudos to Ken @kae1 for not only removing the TV aerial from the skyline, but for remembering to remove it from the reflection as well. It's important to remember the details and check for a match, especially if you are also changing a sky. This got two images demoted from my 1-2-3.

It's tempting to over-lighten the shadows and take out too much contrast. This is early morning low winter sun in a very clear sky which is why I bracketed, however despite the bracketing, it can be an extreme correction to warm up and lighten the shadows and in this case, in my view it's better to not go further than the lightest image - this also saves running into problems in selective colour correction (shadows are invariably blue).

No-one got rid of the graffiti under the bridge. I really don't like graffiti - perpetrators should be deported to somewhere reasonably remote like Saturn. They can vandalise what they like up there.

@Peano - you really should enter - I don't like judging, but I learn a lot from different people's ideas in processing my images.

So - someone needs to be declared a winner. This challenge's invisible trophy and top cashless prize are awarded to @kae1.

1st - @kae1 entry 1.
2nd - @WhidbeyLVR
3rd - @Rose McGill entry 2

Your turn to host Ken.

Thanks for the mention - very surprising for me :)

Back