Darkroom Challenge Digital Darkroom Derby #96 - Closed - Results Posted

griffljg

Top Veteran
Name
Larry Griffiths
This is Digital Darkroom Derby #96, a digital image editing/processing challenge.

Please read the rules here. Short version: Host provides the challenge image and selects the winner, who then becomes the next host.

The advantages of taking photos in raw format........

I was born and brought up in South Africa. I left in February 1994, expecting that I would never return. But I reckoned without the persuasive capabilities of some old schoolmates who decided to stage a 40th Anniversary of the 1972 Matriculation Class Reunion back at the old school in Sandton, north of Johannesburg, in late November 2012. I decided that I would attend and also would use this opportunity to revisit some of my old stomping grounds (and some that I had missed too).

I flew from Brisbane to Singapore to Cape Town, hired a car in Cape Town, toured the Western Cape, before driving along the Garden Route to Port Elizabeth and Kenton-on-Sea, before turning north towards Johannesburg. I had visited the Karoo town of Graaff-Reinet on numerous occasions. - It was here that I remember my mother getting her first speeding fine of 40 mph in a 35 mph zone. ;) (South Africa went metric in 1970.) I spent a couple of days there in a B&B and went up and wandered around taking in the views of the Valley of Desolation. The owner of the B&B suggested that I pay a visit to the quaint little town of Nieu-Bethesda, about 50km north of Graaff-Reinet.

I wandered off to Nieu-Bethesda, getting there just before midday. I saw a sign for the "The Brewery and Two Goats Deli - Local Beer and Cheese" and decided that would be an interesting place to have lunch. So I ordered a platter of local produce and a glass of the local beer:

PB139864.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The JPEG and raw files are here: DDD #96. It will be interesting to see what you can make of my lunch of local produce.

This challenge will close at 6am Brisbane local time (GMT +10h) on Tuesday, 7th February. Have fun! :)

Last edited:
I was born and brought up in South Africa. I left in February 1994, expecting that I would never return. But I reckoned without the persuasive capabilities of some old schoolmates who decided to stage a 40th Anniversary of the 1972 Matriculation Class Reunion back at the old school in Sandton, north of Johannesburg, in late November 2012. I decided that I would attend and also would use this opportunity to revisit some of my old stomping grounds (and some that I had missed too).

I flew from Brisbane to Singapore to Cape Town, hired a car in Cape Town, toured the Western Cape, before driving along the Garden Route to Port Elizabeth and Kenton-on-Sea, before turning north towards Johannesburg. I had visited the Karoo town of Graaff-Reinet on numerous occasions. - It was here that I remember my mother getting her first speeding fine of 40 mph in a 35 mph zone. ;) (South Africa went metric in 1970.) I spent a couple of days there in a B&B and went up and wandered around taking in the views of the Valley of Desolation. The owner of the B&B suggested that I pay a visit to the quaint little town of Nieu-Bethesda, about 50km north of Graaff-Reinet.

I wandered off to Nieu-Bethesda, getting there just before midday. I saw a sign for the "The Brewery and Two Goats Deli - Local Beer and Cheese" and decided that would be an interesting place to have lunch. So I ordered a platter of local produce and a glass of the local beer:

Having made my living as a writer (now retired), I enjoyed your interesting and lucid introduction. Nicely done!

Thank you to all who entered this challenge. The quality of the entries forces me to do some nit-picking to determine the winner. I took this photo on 13 November 2012 using an Olympus E-3 camera. The E-3 (and its E-5 successor) were rather bulky cameras for 4/3 cameras and the E-3 had a fairly primitive 10.1 megapixel sensor with fairly limited dynamic range. It's saving grace was the amazingly sharp 12-60mm f/2.8-4 SWD zoom lens that I used on it most of the time. It is still one of my favourite lenses. The camera and lens now sit in my "Old Camera Museum" in a display cabinet in my lounge room.

Light in the Karoo does tend to be a bit harsh and a decent set of sunglasses is recommended. This challenge was always going to have a fair bit of HDR recovery to take care of the dynamic range shortcomings of the old Live MOS sensor.

It is probably just as well that I took all photographs from this trip in the raw file format. The advances in raw file processing software in recent years have enabled me to give new life to some of my old photos. Indeed, I use this photo, together with a few others, to check out any new raw file processing software that I may be considering.

The quality of the entries was so good that I had to resort to a bit of nit-picking to determine the winner. I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings and so I'll only comment on the entries that IMHO stood out.
  • @Dinobe : Your #3 entry, while outside the rules, was one of the better entries. The shadow and highlight recovery was very good and appeared natural. The image did come out appearing to be a bit "flat". You could probably improve it a bit by increasing the saturation slightly.
    Next time, just edit one of your earlier entries and replace the image with your newer attempt.

• @Peano : You should seriously consider submitting a formal entry. Your raw file treatments are getting better and better.

• Second Runner-Up: @kae1 : Very nicely done. I felt that you could have done a bit more highlight recovery, which is a criticism I have levelled at my own attempt, and not pushed up the saturation quite as much.

• First Runner-Up: @BosseBe : A really nice balance with decent, but not overdone, levels of saturation. Once again, as I have levelled at my own attempt, I felt that you could have increased highlight recovery a bit more. Still an excellent effort!

• Winner: @WhidbeyLVR : Very well done. You have achieved a decent saturation balance. You have also done a great job of the highlight and shadow recovery, while still managing to make the image appear "natural".

Congratulations Lyle (@WhidbeyLVR ). I am doing what I didn't really want to do and handing it straight back to you. ;)

Last edited:
Thank you to all who entered this challenge. The quality of the entries forces me to do some nit-picking to determine the winner. I took this photo on 13 November 2012 using an Olympus E-3 camera. The E-3 (and its E-5 successor) were rather bulky cameras for 4/3 cameras and the E-3 had a fairly primitive 10.1 megapixel sensor with fairly limited dynamic range. It's saving grace was the amazingly sharp 12-60mm f/2.8-4 SWD zoom lens that I used on it most of the time. It is still one of my favourite lenses. The camera and lens now sit in my "Old Camera Museum" in a display cabinet in my lounge room.

Light in the Karoo does tend to be a bit harsh and a decent set of sunglasses is recommended. This challenge was always going to have a fair bit of HDR recovery to take care of the dynamic range shortcomings of the old Live MOS sensor.

It is probably just as well that I took all photographs from this trip in the raw file format. The advances in raw file processing software in recent years have enabled me to give new life to some of my old photos. Indeed, I use this photo, together with a few others, to check out any new raw file processing software that I may be considering.

The quality of the entries was so good that I had to resort to a bit of nit-picking to determine the winner. I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings and so I'll only comment on the entries that IMHO stood out.
  • @Dinobe : Your #3 entry, while outside the rules, was one of the better entries. The shadow and highlight recovery was very good and appeared natural. The image did come out appearing to be a bit "flat". You could probably improve it a bit by increasing the saturation slightly.
    Next time, just edit one of your earlier entries and replace the image with your newer attempt.

• @Peano : You should seriously consider submitting a formal entry. Your raw file treatments are getting better and better.

• Second Runner-Up: @kae1 : Very nicely done. I felt that you could have done a bit more highlight recovery, which is a criticism I have levelled at my own attempt, and not pushed up the saturation quite as much.

• First Runner-Up: @BosseBe : A really nice balance with decent, but not overdone, levels of saturation. Once again, as I have levelled at my own attempt, I felt that you could have increased highlight recovery a bit more. Still an excellent effort!

• Winner: @WhidbeyLVR : Very well done. You have achieved a decent saturation balance. You have also done a great job of the highlight and shadow recovery, while still managing to make the image appear "natural".

Congratulations Lyle (@WhidbeyLVR ). I am doing what I didn't really want to do and handing it straight back to you. ;)
Thank you for the challenge, Larry. I was surprised that there was much up in the highlights to be recovered, especially at ISO 100. I was expecting solid saturation up there. I was also surprised to win, given how good the entries were.

I will get a new challenge up tomorrow (if the gale force winds in the forecast don't fell a tree and knock down our power lines again like last Friday).

Nice effort (and a lot of work). What can really sell a paste-up like this is creating believable shadows that will anchor your pasted objects to the background. Good shadows on transparent objects like the glass are harder, but they don't have to be perfect,
It was a great attempt. But I was wondering why the images from the original image appeared to "float". It was the shadows.

our #3 entry, while outside the rules, was one of the better entries. The shadow and highlight recovery was very good and appeared natural. The image did come out appearing to be a bit "flat". You could probably improve it a bit by increasing the saturation slightly.

Thanks, I often grab these derbies as a learning school and as a personal challenge not so much as a competition with others...
I'm fairly happy with the fix of the table. Yes my image appear a bit flat. That's somehting I've been struggling with for a long time, I wonder if I get tricked by my ICC profile and/or monitor...

Thanks, I often grab these derbies as a learning school and as a personal challenge not so much as a competition with others...
I'm fairly happy with the fix of the table. Yes my image appear a bit flat. That's somehting I've been struggling with for a long time, I wonder if I get tricked by my ICC profile and/or monitor...
I don't know what editor you are using, but you could try fiddling around a bit with 'Saturation' or 'Vibrance' and see how that looks.

Back