Darkroom Challenge Digital Darkroom Derby #97 (closed, results posted)

Name
Lyle
This is Digital Darkroom Derby #97, a digital image editing/processing challenge.

Please read the rules here. Short version: Host provides the challenge image and selects the winner, who then becomes the next host.

PB040031.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The RAW and JPG files are here.

The challenge will close at 8 AM Seattle local time on Saturday, February 11th. Results later that day. Enjoy!

Entry #1:

First ran ORF file through DxO PureRAW 2 and then imported the resulting DNG file into Capture One Pro 23 for further processing.

I was bothered a bit by the large dark blue bit towards the top left and felt that this might provide a distraction from the vivid colours in the rest of the photo. I decided that it might make quite a good panoramic photograph. So I cropped it to 16:9 and performed a bit of keystone correction and then....... Maxed out the highlight recovery, wound back exposure a bit, added a bit of contrast and saturation and that was about it.

DDD097-ORF.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Interesting that you did the xspan crop, as that is what I thought about when I saw your first edit :)
I thought that it would be interesting to see how it turned out and was quite pleased with it. Although, looking at @RobD 's submission, I am now starting to wonder whether I shouldn't have cropped quite as much and concentrating on the sky a bit more. :)

I thought that it would be interesting to see how it turned out and was quite pleased with it. Although, looking at @RobD 's submission, I am now starting to wonder whether I shouldn't have cropped quite as much and concentrating on the sky a bit more. :)

There's always such wonderful interpretations of a shot isn't there .... at the end of the day, we must trust our judgment/perception, and go with what we enjoy, I can remember being on a forum when I first starting using digital, and some of the comments were just brutal! After a while I learned to ignore it. But it can be quite soul destroying to read some of those kinds of comments, especially when you are just learning. One of the reasons I enjoy this forum is - that I don't think I have ever seen a nasty undermining comment.

Back