Darkroom Challenge Digital Darkroom Derby Challenge #104-Results posted

This is Digital Darkroom Derby #104, a digital image editing/processing challenge.
Please read the rules here. Short version: Host provides the challenge image and selects the winner, who then becomes the next host.

PA101747.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This one won't be easy...
The library of the university of Salamanca. Picture taken under difficult light and through a glass panel. Over- and underexposure, glare, reflections, noise in the dark parts, You name it, it has it!
That's why I let You play with a bracketed set of 7 images. Use what You want but try to improve the image.

RAW files can be d/l here.

JPG files can be d/l here.

Have fun.

Entry #1:

Imported all seven images into Capture One Pro 23. Performed an HDR Merge and then processed the resulting DNG file in Capture One. - Perspective correction, Highlight and Shadow recovery, increased the Saturation and warmed the white balance a bit. Cropped out the worst of the window reflections on the far right.

PA101753_HDR 3.jpg

Last edited:
Entry #2:

Chose the ORF file that appeared to be the best exposed. Fed this file through DxO PureRAW 2 to reduce the noise and perform some sharpening. Imported the resulting DNG file into Capture One Pro. - Perspective correction, Highlight and Shadow recovery, increased the Saturation and warmed the white balance a bit. Cropped out the worst of the window reflections on the far right.

PA101747-ORF 1.jpg

Not competing, just wanted to play around with a couple of the raw files. Very pleasing subject. I bet it smells nice -- the fragrance of old books! 👃

Footnote: I elected not to bother with the glass reflections. I could remove them, but I don't really need the practice.

library-1200.jpg

Last edited:
Don't worry @Stiga , I'll include both of them.

The results....
In the category "black & white", my choice is between @kae1 and @theoldsmithy; I prefer Ken's picture for its better control of noise and detail (e.g. the books on the left side).
In the category "colour", yet again @kae1 and @griffljg (#2).

Final results:
First place: @kae1
Second place: @griffljg
Third place: @theoldsmithy

Over to You, Ken, to host the next competition.

What I did with this scene: noise reduction with DXO Deep Prime, then into Photomatix Pro (all 7), choosing the "fusion-natural"setting, exported as TIFF to Photoshop; some work using ACR and finally tonal adjustment using nik filters.

PA101747-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIMEAnd6more_Fusion-Natural copy.jpg

Back