Leica Digital M Handgrip and or Thumbs Up

Mijo

Veteran
I'm looking to improve the handling of my M-E, so I ordered a Thumbs Up (EP-1S) which should arrive early this week. I read a lot of postive reviews about the Thumbs Up so I thought I would give it a try. If the Thumbs Up isn't to my liking than I'll try the handgrip. Anyone using one or other other or both? I'd love to hear some feedback on either, particularly for anyone who has tried / uses both.

I noticed that handgrip doesn't come in M-E grey, it does come it steel grey though. If I get the handgrip it will probably be in black and maybe even the MM handgrip since the grip looks like it's covered in the same leather type of material that's used on the M-E.

With only the thumbs up, you tend to squeeze the body more and press your palm against the 4-way button area on the back, with the grip, it's much more one-hand holdable.

If you use a tension adjustable ball head frequently, I highly recommend going with the RRS plate. Its stiffer thus better when used with a tension adjusted ball head. This allows you more control over the tension without worry about bending the baseplate which are made of thin brass.

I personally use a combination of the Leica M grip plus a stick on square rubber foot that you find at the local hardware store. Works great! If I had known about the RRS plate ahead of time, I probably would have invested in at least one for use with a ball head. I found both of my Leica M grips used on ebay. The one on my M9 actually came from a person using it on an M8.

As much as I think the Thumbs up is neat, I use flash occasionally and it uses the hotshoe. It also forms a "hook" which can get snagged on stuff... I'm partially afraid of the tension it places on the hotshoe in such occasions.

I used to use the Thumbs Up but I prefer to keep the hotshot handy for flash. I also prefer that the camera lays flat on its back when I put it on its back to change lenses. I use the handgrip all the time. it is simply part of my camera now. No complaints about it.

I prefer the Thumbie over the thumbs up. Less "in the way" and I can also use a flash when needed.

I have the RRS plate with the L bracket and grip.After a while I removed the grip and I'm happy with the handling with just the Thumbie.

Gordon

My Thumbs Up was waiting for me when I got home yesterday, I understand what you guys mean when you mentioned "in the way" or that it could get snagged. Since I normally carry my M-E in Billingham bag with handstrap attached, instead of a neck / shoulder strap, having the Thumbs Up getting snagged isn't too much of a concern for me. I also don't have a flash unit, yet, so easy access to the hot shoe isn't a priority.

I'll probably try the Thumbs Up for several weeks before I decide whether I want to try the grip or explore some of the other options you all have suggested. Thanks for the input...

I went ahead and bought the black handgrip to go a long with the thumbs up, together they significantly improve the handling of my M-E. if I had to do without one I'd probably choose the thumbs up. My other option is to use to remove the grip and use the thumbs up with the half case which also works really well, only down side is I don't have access to the tripod mount with the half case on.

Walter M-Stedi

Have a look at the Walter M-Stedi. I designed it as an alternative for the current handgrips. The camera lies in your hand and you don't need to grip it.:cool:

I use the Walter M-Stedi, and it works quite well. The only caveat being it works best with the Leica strap and I would never use it with a single point wrist strap.

Back