Fuji Digital Medium Format Fuji camera

Phoenix

All-Pro
Name
Phoenix Gonzales
I came across this in Fujirumours regarding a rumoured Fuji medium format camera, while it’s not really ‘new’ per se and it is just a rumour, I would love to hear other people’s thoughts about it.

I myself am interested on what it could do, what features could it have,why the skip from full frame to medium format, etc… probably curiosity or wishful thinking in my part.

Although I have no plans on getting one as it will most likely be out of my price range, but also due to the fact that my current gear’s capability already far exceeds my photographic grasp, whether there is any truth in this rumour or whether such a camera will be developed, I am curious what professionals and amateurs alike think about this.

What do you think?

i saw it a few nights ago, then again on sonyalpharumour's site. that sony sensor always seemed impressive. based on the polls of how many people would buy a FF Fuji, maybe it's thought that a MF will make a bigger impact and will especially pull in more "higher end professionals?"

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

I said it there. For me it would be a very expensive and limited "nice to have" additional travel camera. Which is to say, the odds I'd ever wind up with one in real life are something small enough to approach zero.

It amazes me to see how far behind the curve some rumors are these days. Fuji keeps changing their opinion about FF about 3 times per year. I have lost track of the various FF and APS-C concepts I have seen (and given my feedback to) for the X100 line and the X-Pro line in the past. And it's also practically irrelevant, because Fuji simply cannot make up their mind. It was APS-C in April, in May the pendulum swung to FF, and in June it may be APS-C again. Or maybe medium format, that's what I have been recommending instead of an additional FF line for the long term. I have no idea what cameras Fuji will introduce in 2015, and I am pretty sure neither has Fuji. ;) So keep speculating, but don't mention "trusted sources", because there is no such thing these days. Nobody knows for sure, the discussion is ongoing.

As for Photokina, there's of course no medium format offering. It's a joke. Medium format, if it ever materializes, should make up a camera system with several lenses and a MF CMOS sensor with PDAF pixels covering most of its area. Such a sensor is not available today, but may be in a year or so. Personally, I like this idea very much. I think it's a better idea than offering a FF system, but hey, we simply don't know what it's eventually gonna be.

One thing is pretty clear: There are no plans to cut the APS-C line, to the contrary. If anything, there are plans to make APS-C products more professional. I sometime have a feeling that some of those so-called "trusted sources" who keep talking about imminent FF and MF cameras are working for Fuji's competition, trying to undermine trust in Fuji's current X-Mount system. Or maybe they are just having a blast reading their fantasies on rumor sites.

Rico,
I think what may be driving Fuji's indecisiveness is that they are getting conflicting Voice of the Customer (VOC), and they haven't worked out a business process for sussing it all out (that is, where do the real customer needs lie, how are those aligned with their core competencies, and where do they see opportunities to innovate and differentiate based on the intersection all of those?).

Perhaps they should hire me as a consultant! I know how to do this! ;) (I do VOC for the biotech company I work for....as well as Design for Six Sigma).

I think they should just skip right over Medium Format and bring on the Large Format. Show those Pentax punks and Hassleblad clowns who's boss!

*in the interest of full disclosure my Fuji Medium Format camera arrived yesterday.

What did you get??

GSW690 II?

a gf670.... the film arrived this afternoon. I'll see how long it takes me to shoot 12 shots (with digital it might take me a week.....being more deliberate with film, it could take a month). I'll share the first roll as soon as I get it developed. I'm worried I don't have the skillz to work it, but I needed a challenge. My photography has seemed directionless for over a year. *crosses fingers*

Ohhh, I'll be looking forward to your photos, fwiw though I have been looking at your images and I wouldn't consider your path directionless, I would call it more of documenting daily life and experiences.

Back