Fuji Dilemma to resolve by early January...

dmward

Regular
... I have an X-Pro-1 along with 18-55 and 50-200 zoom and 18, 35, 60mm fixed.
I used Leica M4s with film when I was traveling. I am going to Panama in late January and am uncomfortable with just a single body.
So the question is;
A) another X-Pro-1, there is something to be said for same backup, that's what I do with DSLR.
B) XE1, it seems to be a very nice companion for the X-Pro-1 and they are inexpensive used. And, would be perfect for the 50-200 since I use that with EVF on the X-Pro-1 anyway.
C) XE2, I did a comparison between it, XE1 and X-Pro-1 on DP Review site and it doesn't look like there is that much difference. Keep in mind that I have a complete Canon kit and no plans to eliminate it. 5DIIIs, TSE, L zooms, and L primes. The primes are on shaky ground now that I've had the X-Pro 1 for a while. :)

Would be interested in hearing thoughts. As I said, travel and street photography, want to stay light and mobile. I'm contemplating 2 bodies, the two zooms, and the 35 F1.4 for low light. I do like to do HDR to get twilight and other wide dynamic range shots. So will take a gorilla pod along.

Ironically, until this trip, all our travel has been golf focused so I've not bothered getting into street and travel shooting. Really looking forward to this as a new adventure. :)

If you want to get a sense of my photography visit www.dmwfotos.com or www.intimateimagesbydavid.com (There is NSFW here. You're warned. :) )
And here is link to a gallery of Fuji X-Pro-1 pictures. http://www.dmwfotos.com/galleries/fuji/

Hi Dave,

It appears that for most of what you shoot, the X-E1 might be as good a choice as the X-E2 or the X-Pro1.

A place where the autofocus advantage of the X-E2 would come into play is for candid people shooting, such as your concert shots. And then, unless you're finding the 5DIII tiresome for its size as a people/concert shooter, that can fit your need there.

I know we all get GAS (I know I do!), but perhaps the more rational choice for now might be to invest in a new great lens ...

Thanks Carl, I am thinking of the Fuji kit as my personal, walk around, and travel kit. The Canon kit is for assignments, including architecture with TSE lenses. I am thinking about the 23 1.4 and the 56 1.2. They would be similar to the lens complement I had with Leica. 35mm and 85-90mm are a nice complement. I have to say the 18-55 and 55-200 appear to be the perfect travel combination. Sharp, reasonably fast, and relatively small and unobtrusive, especially if I forego the lens shades.

The more I read about the XE2 the more appealing it sounds. For most walking around pix, including the cars at the concourse show last summer, the focus with the X-Pro-1 has been fine. Once they fixed the poor original focus. :)

There is something to be said for getting a used XE1 for now, see how things evolve over the next year.

More noodling. :)

David

If you're happy with the X-Pro1 then I'd go for a used X-E1. The X-E2 is better, but you can find great deals on E1s used right now. Who knows, it may become more than a backup.

If you want a cheap second body then X-E1's are dirt cheap at the moment used.

I have the X-E2 and the AF and other changes to it make it much more of a winner than the X-E1 (which I had also) -- but you are quite right that the image quality is the same across all the interchangeable lens Fuji X-Trans cameras.

X-M1 is a compact alternative and not expensive either. If you don't have to have the viewfinder for everything it's a great second body and that's what mine is. When working on a tripod I use it for the tilting screen.

Generally, I'm happy with the way the X-Pro-1 focuses both with OVF and EVF. I was doing some testing with a YN-E3 on the X-Pro-1 and it would focus on a ColorChecker chart with it was nearly impossible to see in the view finder because of camera settings. Its not alway quick with the 55-200 and has trouble finding a foreground element I want to have sharp with soft focus background but I can usually trick into getting the focus I want. :)

I expect the XE1 focus is about the same with the new firmware.

I like an eye level view finder. Holding a camera out to use the LCD panel, unless on a tripod, just doesn't work for me. Old dogs new tricks kind of thing.

Good news is I don't have to decide until about the 7th of January. More noodling.

Keep the suggestions coming. :)

Bill, if only I had been smart enough to keep the Leica glass. :-(
Someone broke into my house and stole 2 M4s along with the 5 lenses I had. Fortunately, the police caught them and got all the gear back. That was enough to get me to sell it all off. I used it so seldom during that period.

Tom,
One reason for thinking about a second body, in addition to my inclination to not want to go out without backup; You should see my car when I go on a job, is to have the 18-55 on the X-Pro-1, and the 55-200 on the XE?. I like the 18-55 with optical view finder. And I like the 55-200 with the EVF. Reminds me of having a 200mm for my Leica with a Visoflex housing. :)

With that combo, I'd have the 35 F1.4, and 18 F2 for inside when its really dark. The 55-200 in Macro mode seems to do just about as tight an image as the 60mm Macro.

Its interesting that I find myself thinking about a two camera setup. That's how I used the Leica M4s. Now, with the quality of Canon L zooms I tend to use a single body and swap lenses if necessary.

What impresses me are the two zooms for the X bodies. Here is a link to some shots I did while testing the 55-200 http://wardorf.com

Some of those images were shot handheld with OIS on at about 1/40 shutter and 200mm zoom. Not razor sharp but certainly acceptable candids.

Back