Fuji Discounted X100 or Full-Price X100s?

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
I've been following the Fuji X-camera story (and have been a member of this site) since the beginning and have intended to become the owner of an X100, X100s or X-E1 for some time. But financial events keep forcing me to postpone the purchase. My current goal is to own one of these cameras before the end of this year. I am fully aware of the specs of all of these cameras and have seen output from same on these forums. But what I'm looking for now is feedback from those who have either owned both the X100 and X100s or have at least been allowed to work with both long enough to make a reasonable comparsion.

All things being equal, I'd prefer an X100s to an X100 but since money is a factor, I'm trying to determine whether the differences warrant my waiting to save for the full $1299 purchase price of an X100s or jumping at the roughly $800 price of an X100 (and employing the latest firmware) as soon as I can get that together.

Of course, a lot can happen along the way: An X-E2 may be introduced and the price of the X-E1 may drop dramatically. The X-E1 remains an option (and I certainly like the camera) but the X100/X100s would give me most of what I want without the pressure of adding more lenses. And 35mm agrees with me. So, what say FujiXspot's best and brightest?

Money was a factor for me but I'm loving the X100. Maybe if I had an X100S or had really shot with one I'd be less happy. But I haven't. So I am. That's my testimony -- it's a lot of fun and I doubt the X100S is MORE FUN even if it is BETTER.

I know though that "fun" is relative. For me it means I shoot and don't have to fight the camera. Not so though with the HDR I just tried -- the lack of really wide ranging long shutter speeds is a problem for me. I had to boost the ISO to 400 so I could use the speeds the camera would give me.

I have the S. I owned the original. The "experience" (which is at least 3/4 the joy of owning this camera) of shooting with either is nearly identical. I tell myself that if I had it to do over again, I'd have bought a mint used one for around half the price. But I also like the look of the files from the S just a tiny bit more.....and eventually that would have gnawed away at the tiny part of my brain that screws up all my thinking about gear. I would wager that if you used the S for a day and then used the original for a day with $600 taped to the bottom where you constantly saw it and thought about what else you could with that money, I think the choice would be quite simple. $600 can buy one a quick weekend getaway if you shop for specials. You could take your little X100 somewhere and take photos of somewhere different. That's my 2 cents.

...and eventually that would have gnawed away at the tiny part of my brain that screws up all my thinking about gear.

Wow. That would be awful for me: I only have a tiny brain which means it would have been gnawing on ALL of it! Phew! Glad I haven't tried the "S" yet.

:tomato2:

Come one John...... I think mine has a nice rhythm to it.

That's not the rhythm of your poetry... that's the sound of people running away, their frightened feet slapping the pavement in haste as they flee from our intimidating repartee... or something, lol.

You should get the S because it is magic
doing anything else no doubt would be tragic
it might take a bit longer to save up the money
but the Fuji X100s will soon become your honey

RT hit the nail on the head.
Anything else to add is dead.
So save your nickels, save your dimes,
And purchase the X100s, like mines.

=G=

Yeap!!! Even if he gets the x100 first, he'll still end up with the x100s later on. So might as well get straight to the goal :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using FujiXspot mobile app

Yeap!!! Even if he gets the x100 first, he'll still end up with the x100s later on. So might as well get straight to the goal :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using FujiXspot mobile app

i dont know about that. i am severely addled with GAS on a fairly constant basis. but ive had the x100 since the beginning and i couldnt be happier. i agree with luke: from what ive seen the S files are a little 'better', but only marginally so, imo. the throughout-the-frame clarity of the original X is simply awe inspiring, up to 3200. its b&w reproduction is honesly the best ive seen until the M monochrome. the firmware upgrades make the user experiences almost identical, unless you much prefer manual focus, where imo the S takes it easily.

and the S is not itself without issues, like kind of shabby close focusing. newer is not always better! i found this out twice, once when i traded my ep2 for the much touted omd, and again when i traded my x10 in for an x20. the newer versions had much to offer over the older on paper; but subjectively to my eye, neither produced the kind of files i so enjoyed with their predecessors.

so fear not! spend less and enjoy just as much! you will marvel at what you get from the x100. querie though, at least in the US you can pick up a new xe-1 and use lots of lenses, for about $600, which imo is the most outstanding deal out there. imo, thats where the decision lies: original x100 vs xe-1.

One more thing: for the difference in price you can buy a nice used WCL-X100 and have 28mm equivalent available also.

This is exactly what I did and the quality of that little conversion lens is outstanding and matches the quality of the X100's fixed lens perfectly. Very happy with it. So if you have the money to spend on an X100S, but want some additional flexibility, you can get it.

Or ignore Gary,
and buy the Orig,
with the money you save,
You can buy a new fridge!

And keep some beer in the fridge :p. To be very honest .. There is nothing substantial which S offers over original X100. I love the output of old sensor more . The AF is still an issue with X100S and particularly in low light . The only thing which can make me say that X100s is better than X100 would be a Fuji paid trip to L. Vegas lol ..then my judgment will be more clear but until them X100 is the best value for money . Infact u can get even Ricoh GR with rest of the money .
Cheers

so fear not! spend less and enjoy just as much! you will marvel at what you get from the x100. querie though, at least in the US you can pick up a new xe-1 and use lots of lenses, for about $600, which imo is the most outstanding deal out there. imo, thats where the decision lies: original x100 vs xe-1.

Well, that's just it: If I buy an X-E1, all of those Fuji lenses will become available to me. And that's what I'm afraid of. Buying an X100 or X100s allows me to avoid GAS pressure. I like the X-E1 very much. But I'm trying to avoid it unless I make a decision to sell off my Pentax DSLR kit or my micro four-thirds kit.

Re: X100s vs. X100: Maybe I should go for the original after all. Just as many people prefer the X10 to the X20, first iteration may have its own unique charms. And then I would be maintaining a theme with my kit in that it would be current as of 2012 - and should still hold me for a few years. :eek:

If money is tight, and for most of us this is so.
Then the X100 may be right from the git go.
The difference may be great or nil,
Depending on the photog's perspective and skill.
Remember this, because all else but this final point is mute,
What you shoot doesn't matter ... all that matters is you shoot.

=G=

If money is tight, and for most of us this is so.
Then the X100 may be right from the git go.
The difference may be great or nil,
Depending on the photog's perspective and skill.
Remember this, because all else but this final point is mute,
What you shoot doesn't matter ... all that matters is you shoot.

=G=

Don't click thanks don't click thanks don't click thanks... dang, clicked it. Shouldn't, it only encourages him...

Back