Fuji Discounted X100 or Full-Price X100s?

I'm much like you and has horrible GAS. I've gone through 10 different camera systems with making a stop through the RX1 twice. I probably has the worst case of searching for the perfect camera more than anyone I know. Some cameras I gave up on less than 500 actuations into it.

Trust me having a fixed lens camera does certainly help, there's no additional lens to buy. Even when my friends were telling me I was stupid for spending $2,200 on a RX1, I asked them how much they spent on their gear and they said 'Oh my XE-1 with kit was only $1,199. Then you add in the $599 35 1.4 and the $899 14 2.8 and you suddenly have a system which is bulkier, costs more, and is certainly less easy to carry than a 1 lens option. Also shooting with 1 lens takes the guessing out of it, you don't have to sit there and contemplate whether the shot will be better with a 35, a 23, or a 60. You zoom with your feet. You work on better composition and exposure. But the interchangeable lens system does make it more versatile and there are times you can't zoom with your feet. Also having the RX1 was amazing for me but it did make me yearn for more focal length options. And what did I do? I sold the RX1 and went to an interchangeable option.

My advice to you is to save up a little more, get the X100S, especially if you want to do any kind of manual focusing and on lower light you may have to resort to it. Overall it's a much more responsive system as well. I had a go with my friends X100 and X100S earlier this summer and the S just felt like a much more mature camera. I like the fact that it's so well done now and minor improvements can be made via FW improvements. I'm going to be adding one to my collection in a few weeks and I'm going to roll with a m4/3 system and the X100S as my 1A. Take out the system with multiple lenses if I'm going on an overnight or photo session (but still going to keep the x100s in the bag) or take the x100s when I just want to go out for a quick drive and want to have something with me just in case.

I've decided that there's no one perfect camera but having 2 systems is the best solution.

I'm much like you and has horrible GAS. I've gone through 10 different camera systems with making a stop through the RX1 twice. I probably has the worst case of searching for the perfect camera more than anyone I know. Some cameras I gave up on less than 500 actuations into it.

Trust me having a fixed lens camera does certainly help, there's no additional lens to buy. Even when my friends were telling me I was stupid for spending $2,200 on a RX1, I asked them how much they spent on their gear and they said 'Oh my XE-1 with kit was only $1,199. Then you add in the $599 35 1.4 and the $899 14 2.8 and you suddenly have a system which is bulkier, costs more, and is certainly less easy to carry than a 1 lens option. Also shooting with 1 lens takes the guessing out of it, you don't have to sit there and contemplate whether the shot will be better with a 35, a 23, or a 60. You zoom with your feet. You work on better composition and exposure. But the interchangeable lens system does make it more versatile and there are times you can't zoom with your feet. Also having the RX1 was amazing for me but it did make me yearn for more focal length options. And what did I do? I sold the RX1 and went to an interchangeable option.

My advice to you is to save up a little more, get the X100S, especially if you want to do any kind of manual focusing and on lower light you may have to resort to it. Overall it's a much more responsive system as well. I had a go with my friends X100 and X100S earlier this summer and the S just felt like a much more mature camera. I like the fact that it's so well done now and minor improvements can be made via FW improvements. I'm going to be adding one to my collection in a few weeks and I'm going to roll with a m4/3 system and the X100S as my 1A. Take out the system with multiple lenses if I'm going on an overnight or photo session (but still going to keep the x100s in the bag) or take the x100s when I just want to go out for a quick drive and want to have something with me just in case.

I've decided that there's no one perfect camera but having 2 systems is the best solution.

Well, the price of the X100 is back up to $1199 these days so I might as well save up and wait for the X100s. Of course, if supplies of the X100s ever become reliable and the price for remaining X100 examples drops to $500 - I might jump on that (not that I expect that). But, short of that, I think we have a plan here.

Back