Straps Disintegrated Wrist Strap

AmritR

Regular
Name
Amrit
Something unexpected happened. This weekend this recently bought wrist strap from Op/Tech disintegrated. The camera didn’t fall, but a unpleasant surprise nonetheless.

If you use one, good to check if you can’t pull off the ‘rivets’. (not sure if that’s the correct word). I can basically put my nail below it, and push them apart.

I’ve been using these kind of wrist straps for more then 10 years. I have some from Caruba, which seem to be stronger.

IMG_5244.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sometimes these double domed rivets won't set properly. Either they've not been struck hard enough to form a secure bond or they're not the correct length for the thickness of the material.
Personally I prefer stitching over rivets.

If you have the rivet setter tools, and the original two halves aren't deformed, you could try setting it again.
Without those tools, you could also just hammer them together, but you'll flatten the domes.

Additionally, if you have straps/cases with older brass domed rivets, the forming of verdigris underneath them can push the rivet apart as well. Always good to check.

Sometimes these double domed rivets won't set properly. Either they've not been struck hard enough to form a secure bond or they're not the correct length for the thickness of the material.
Personally I prefer stitching over rivets.

If you have the rivet setter tools, and the original two halves aren't deformed, you could try setting it again.
Without those tools, you could also just hammer them together, but you'll flatten the domes.

Additionally, if you have straps/cases with older brass domed rivets, the forming of verdigris underneath them can push the rivet apart as well. Always good to check.

A couple good whacks with a rubber mallet can fix that, if you catch it before you lose them, that is. Bummer!

One rivet was lost, fell in the water in a harbour where I was walking around. I’ll bring it to a shoemaker in town, and have it stitched as well.

The costs are not an issue, wrist straps like these are quite affordable. Which might be the main issue, I’d happily pay a few euro’s more for a proper one. I was lucky it was just the rivet which dropped into the water :)

I found the first Op/Tech wrist strap I bought years ago, 10 years +. It’s attached to a Nikon F4s which I very occasionally use. A distinctly heavy camera. The strap seems to be well. Thx for the tip about corrosion, I’ll replace the wrist strap just in case. I don’t want the F4s to drop and destroy whatever it falls upon.

After a wrist strap failed and my camera hit the sidewalk, I now only use wrist straps that have no parts that could unexpectedly fail. I use wrist straps made of a thick tough cord attached to the camera lug with a metal split ring.

I'm not judging or anything but how many people here let their camera dangle from a wrist strap? I use a wrist strap with all my my cameras (none of them are tiny, smallest is the X100V) but I always hold the camera in my hand. I use the strap solely as a backup in case the camera slips out of my hand, or someone tries to snatch it from me.

I'm not judging or anything but how many people here let their camera dangle from a wrist strap? I use a wrist strap with all my my cameras (none of them are tiny, smallest is the X100V) but I always hold the camera in my hand. I use the strap solely as a backup in case the camera slips out of my hand, or someone tries to snatch it from me.
Very few let a camera dangle from a wrist strap I think, not a very comfortable way to hold a camera. It is definitely a backup imo. Especially with camera without a proper grip.

At some point a camera + lens becomes to heavy for a wrist strap, and you need something else.

My wrist strap fell apart, walking on a jetty, when I pulled my hand out to give the camera to my girlfriend. It fell apart in a kind of slo-mo, me looking very surprised :oops: :ROFLMAO:

I always hold the camera in my hand, but once in a while it slips out. That’s when the wrist strap failed, and the camera continued in a downward direction. Unless you glue the camera to your hand, it could happen to you, too!

Back