Fuji Diving into Fuji

Steve Margulis

Name
Steve Margulis
Hi,

I have been using M43 for about 5 years, first with a Pany GF1, and for the past four years with an Olympus EM5. Prior to that I was a Canon shooter, most recently with the 5DmII.

I have decided that I'm ready to make the plunge into Fuji and have been trying to decide whether its better to pick up the XT1 (on sale now for $999) or the XPro2 ($1699). I shoot street, portraits, and occasional landscape. My intention is to purchase the 23mm 1.4 and 56 1.2. I'm just looking for opinions on what the Fuji experts here would do.

Thanks,

Steve

In short, there's really no reason why either camera should be a whole lot different / better / worse for your uses than the other, that I can think of.

Street: Flip-out screen on the XT1 would be nice, and the Pro doesn't do that.

Portraits: No difference that I can think of.

Landscape: No difference that I can think of.

If you're likely to use the electronic viewfinder the most, then the XT1's is still bigger than the Pro 2's. If you're likely to ever want the optical viewfinder instead, then of course only the Pro has it. Operational speed shouldn't be much different, though I hear the Pro is teeny bit faster in some cases?

The Pro 2 does have the higher resolution and if you're pretty interested in the Acros film simulation then that is the only route for that. They said it "wouldn't" work with the 16mp sensor, so it won't be coming to any of the older models unfortunately. I personally would wait for the X-T2 because I love the style and controls of the X-T1 and as Kyle said the flip out screen is really nice.

Given your lens choices and subject matter I would lean to the X-Pro2. The most fundamental difference, as has already been mentioned, is the method of viewing and the concomitant influence on handling. In short the choice is between "rangefinder" and "SLR" style handling. It is of course complicated currently by the fact that the X-Pro2 has the larger sensor, and that we will see that being rolled out across the range in months to come.

I won't mention the flippy screen - I am known for my dislike of this "feature" ;)

Whatever you choose, you can't make a bad choice with the current Fuji lineup.

Since it hasn't been mentioned so far, the X-Pro2 sports a joystick to move the focus point around. This feature sits on top of my personal list of improvements over the X-Pro1, especially when it comes to shooting people or any moving stuff wide open. Then of course comes the question if you need the extra resolution the X-Pro2 delivers. I actually only need the 24MP on my NEX-7 (combined with some fine glass and good light) for the large prints I do on a regular basis. If it weren't for those prints I'd be perfectly happy with 12MP or even less.

Back