DIY Light Box/Tent Thing

KnurledNut

Regular
Trying to be frugal and somewhat handy at the same time, I made a light box/tent.

• 3/16" foam board
  • LED under cabinet light pods
  • 18" cube
I need to work on a background and clear acrylic stand.

DIY_LIGHT_BOX_1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DIY_LIGHT_BOX_2.jpg

DIY_LIGHT_BOX_3.jpg

DIY_LIGHT_BOX_5.jpg

p.s. this first shot was my cellphone. :LOL:
DIY_LIGHT_BOX_6.jpg

Cool idea, utilizing LEDs for consistent light.

I made one about 10 years ago to use with off camera flashes. Pretty happy with the results at the time. I now just use my larger flash setup with lightstands and white seamless paper.

Here’s the one I made, but more basic than yours, but did the job.

C1401FB4-CBC8-4F28-B70F-528B596A6433.jpeg

Trying to be frugal and somewhat handy at the same time, I made a light box/tent.
Looks good and nice job with the LEDs! Your version has more lighting than most of the smaller lightboxes I see on Amazon. 👍

Here’s the one I made, but more basic than yours, but did the job.
Oooh, nice thought of using flashes for lighting, something a lot of photographers might already have on hand. Are you using plain paper or cloth for the sidewalls to let the light through?

It's good to be creative and great job both of you. What was the total cost in material? Because a basic box is only $20 cdn and they give you different backgrounds with it

IMG_0235.jpg

Mine was a bit more complicated to make (precious few LEDs available for less than the price of a new car then ... ).

Plumbing/electrical fittings, some imagination, and a set of 3x strobes from China.

E-30_JAK_2011-_6215017_E_Ew.jpg

More photos here:

I agree, it's concentrated etc. Esp for small objects. Although mine is a beginner's set up. I also use an external flash wirelessly and that helps as well

Now that's creative, and it will be 1 of a kind. Yours is way bigger than my $20 one anyways
Lucien, my light tent is about 900x900x600 (H). The materials cost about AUD$40, many years ago.

The set of 3x strobes cost AUD$250 delivered, complete with a bag like a cricketer's bag for carrying. 'Blazzeo' brand, but sold for much more in the USA under a variety of names.

Total cost for the strobes was about the cost of one replacement bulb for a Bowen strobe.

Oooh, nice thought of using flashes for lighting, something a lot of photographers might already have on hand. Are you using plain paper or cloth for the sidewalls to let the light through?

Actually used tissue paper for the sides. Diffuses the light well, without really impacting the power.

It's good to be creative and great job both of you. What was the total cost in material? Because a basic box is only $20 cdn and they give you different backgrounds with it

Mine was pretty much no cost - re-used cardboard box, tissue paper used for gift bags, and some basic white card stock paper for the backdrop. Already owned the flashes :)

Back