Fuji Do Fuji X lenses close focus?

wt21

Hall of Famer
I love close focus. I love it on my wide angle, normal lenses and telephoto (for semi-macro/flower shots, etc.)

I've been thinking of Fuji X, off and on, but I just had a thought to look up their minimum focus distance and max magnification (while trying to shoot for the doodads PAD), and am very disappointed with the Fujis, outside the macro, of course.

Here are some compares of Canon vs. Fuji:

• Canon 11-22mm: MFD: .15m, .30x max mag (this number seems high to me, though)
  • Canon 22mm 2.0: MFD: .15m for a .21x mag
  • Canon 18-55 EF-M: MFD: .25m for a .25x mag
  • Canon 55-250: MFD: .85m for a .29x mag

Fuji
  • Fuji 18mm: .18m for .14x mag
  • Fuji 27mm: .34m for .10x mag
  • Fuji 18-55: .3m for .15x mag
  • Fuji 16-50: .3m for .15x mag
  • Fuji 55-200: 1.1m for .18x mag
  • Fuji 50-230: 1.1 m for .20x mag

I was just wondering if maybe there's some trick I'm missing in looking at these specs/stats

(stats gathered from B&H, Photography Blog, or the manufacturer's site)

Those figures might be for AF, but usually you can get a little closer with MF.

My Pentax 18-55 II can focus to 25cm for .34x mag.

But... is the closest point at which focus can be achieved capable of delivering the max magnification? With my Oly 14-42, I can get closest to an object at the 14mm wide end, but zooming to max tele at 42mm gives me greater magnification, even though I have to be further away from the object.

Most of the figures I found (if I remember correctly) said "max magnification" though some said "at tele end" -- not sure if wide end could yield better results. I know that's the case with e.g. the RX100. You can get closer and higher mag at the wide end than the tele.

Probably not missing anything

Close focus compensation is a design parameter -- and some designs don't address it which compromises their ability to resolve at close focus. Most of the Fuji lenses are SO good, I sometimes wonder if Fuji didn't trade off close range performance on some of them against overall quality at other working distances.

Probably not missing anything

Close focus compensation is a design parameter -- and some designs don't address it which compromises their ability to resolve at close focus. Most of the Fuji lenses are SO good, I sometimes wonder if Fuji didn't trade off close range performance on some of them against overall quality at other working distances.

I am sure that is the case, as it also seems to be with many rangefinder lenses.

And to be clear: close focus compensation designs are primarily for systems with some kind of internal focus. A typical macro lens, for example, moves the entire lens assembly in an out to focus which results in a very long extension for close focus. Another reason to limit near focus is to limit lens extension if you're using a "traditional" move-everything to focus design.

Back