Sony Do i have a faulty camera? NEX 5N

dilkah

Hi

I have NEX5 with kit lens, and after nearly a year's use, I decided to get an RX100 to compliment it. Completely blown away by the RX100, so much so that I began to think it could out perform the NEX.

did some comparison images "like for like" as much as possible.

It highlighted a seeming problem with the NEX5, ie some distortion on the edges of the frame, see below for comparison. The first pic is RX100 and 2nd is Nex5n on 100% crops. And the originals shown underneath, reduced in size.

Question is, is the distortion on the NEX5n tolerable from a returns point of view. Is it a wasted excercise saying I have a faulty camera? And do i indeed have a faulty NEX 5!!?? Thanks in advance!

100% CROPS; LEFT= RX100, RIGHT = (faulty?) NEX5N

DSC00407_crop.jpg
DSC07391_crop.jpg

ORIGINALS (sized reduced)

DSC00407 (Custom).JPG
DSC07391 (Custom).JPG

Hi

I have NEX5 with kit lens, and after nearly a year's use, I decided to get an RX100 to compliment it. Completely blown away by the RX100, so much so that I began to think it could out perform the NEX.

did some comparison images "like for like" as much as possible.

It highlighted a seeming problem with the NEX5, ie some distortion on the edges of the frame, see below for comparison. The first pic is RX100 and 2nd is Nex5n on 100% crops. And the originals shown underneath, reduced in size.

Question is, is the distortion on the NEX5n tolerable from a returns point of view. Is it a wasted excercise saying I have a faulty camera? And do i indeed have a faulty NEX 5!!?? Thanks in advance!

100% CROPS; LEFT= RX100, RIGHT = (faulty?) NEX5N

View attachment 5351View attachment 5352

ORIGINALS (sized reduced)

View attachment 5354View attachment 5353

Most likely a lens, not camera issue. Which lens are you using with the 5N? 18-55mm at 18mm? Perhaps a 16mm and you cropped the images?

Edge softness and distortion is not uncommon, i guess, for the kit lens. I used to have that combo. I used it for almost a year too. I don't think you have a faulty 5N. Are you shooting OOC jpeg or RAW?

Thanks Josh.

Much appreciate ur answer. I am using JPEG but have also tested in raw, makes no diff.

I did a test today using f14 and f3.5 for the same shot, and noticeably it's much better on the f14, so i guess it's all down to lens error for my particular lens :-(

Never noticed it before, lol - 7500 shots under my belt with NEX 5N. Now its ruining my appreciation of the NEX's output. All because of the pesky RX100 I bought :)

I might just send back and see what they say. As i have the RX100 , i can live without the NEX 5N for a week or 2.

Thanks Zapatista

Well its the kit lens (18-55) at 18mm. Admittedly the Nex pic is a 16:9 version, set on camera. I do think it's the lens, as mentioned to Josh, i tried a f14 and f3.5 comparison and the f14 version is noticeably less distorted at the left edge. Question is, is it enough to justify a return to shop?

Only one way to find out!! Now, to find the receipt...

what do you mean by distortion? Do you mean blur? The NEX shots may be focused at infinity and, given the much larger sensor, that would leave the foreground subjects more OOF. The RX100 has naturally deeper DOF.

Also, as noted, the NEX 16 and kit lens are not very good, especially at the edges. There is also a lot of sample variation, so one might be acceptable, another one really bad.

Thanks WT21, the distortion is definitely not a focus issue, as it's consistent with any scenery or image taken at the fast end. I'm pretty sure it's a lens issue.Which leads me to think you are right about the sample variation. Not too good. Im going to send it back to sony via the shop from which i purchased it and see what gives.

Back