Do I stay or do I go? (with my current system).

It's hard to be hopeful about a Panasonic GX8 Mark 2 now, given the situation. Such a camera with low-effort upgrades with using G9 innards could be a very good body for many.

I'm not so certain about the death of m4/3 . . . at least, I'm willing to risk staying in it with the G95 & PL 12-60 I've purchased in the past couple of weeks. If it ever gets to the point that my camera stops working and there are no suitable replacements in that format, I'll deal with it then, but for now, I'm not going to worry about what the market is doing. There is a ton of angst and even acrimony over m4/3's "impending demise" over at mu-43, DPR, and 43rumors. Life is too short for that kind of stress.

The way I see it, while I have a preference for Nikon DSLRs, the Z mount is just as different of a system from the F-mount and right now the Sony E-mount tends to offer more native options (1st and 3rd party) and fully featured MILC bodies which I can also buy cheaper on the used market. I'm as hardcore Nikon as there was, and I even tried switching to the Z system 3 times, yet because of the flexibility of Sony, I stuck with the E-mount. Also I consider Samyang, Tamron and now Sigma more in-tuned with the mirrorless market in terms of lenses. Samyang has the smallest AF full frame primes, Tamron has the most compact zooms and Sigma finally put their Art series lenses on a diet bringing them back to more manageable sizes for f/2.8 zooms and fast primes with the new DG series (14-24, 24-70, 35 /1.2, 85 1.4).

I'm still holding on to my Nikon DSLRs, mainly because the Sony lens equivalents are way too expensive or don't exist yet. Adapting those lenses onto the Z-mount also don't make much sense due to the added bulk and reduced AF performance. Saying that, I've been rediscovering many forgotten f-mount screw drive lenses that still perform amazingly well once tuned on a modern DSLR!

I should add I'm not one for adapted lenses, manual AF, or vintage glass. I know many do and it can be a great source of good inexpensive glass.

It's just not for me.

I don't know whether u43 is dead or not. It's kind of up to Panasonic - unless the Chinese come in big time. But I'll tell you what...

I was going through my camera gear today with an eye toward rationalizing my kit. One box I hadn't opened in a while contained my Pentax Q-S1 and four lenses - three zooms and a prime. All very good, all very compact... and all jewel-like in their construction.

And suddenly... it came to me. I really think all of my big, heavy Zuiko PRO glass is the antithesis of the original u43 mission. Oh, it is excellent - don't get me wrong. But it's just so far from what I'm looking for these days. I'm really not happy carrying them around.

I believe I am going to sell off my E-M1 and E-M1 II... and all of my PRO glass with the exception of the 12-45mm f/4. I will use it on my Pen F's along with all the compact, fast Oly primes. Perhaps I'll pick up an E-M5 III on sale or refurbished.

I also plan to pare back my Fuji kit to either one or two cameras.

The Nikon Z system is very interesting... even if it's a bit troubling to me how large many of the system's lenses are. But that's just me.
The 12-100 is the only Pro lens I currently have, though I do have the PL8-18. So I have pretty much two different systems in one. One with a few small primes and probably the 12-45 Pro as some point. The other with the PL8-18 (probably replaced by the 8-24 if released), the 12-100 Pro, and some telephoto.

I really wish Olympus had produced the f/4 Pro zooms before the f/1.2 primes. I think that would have served the system better.
.....Ah ... and since you mention the Z7s: Precisely the body that might pull me over the high-megapixel line, pending other improvements. ......
I owned the D800 along side the D750, The 24mp is great for many things. But if I was going to go with a Z it would be the Z7.

I like the Z system, but I'm invested in the Sony system right now due to cheaper used gear and more third party options. Sony's flash system is actually my mainly deterrent from making a full Sony move. Nothing satisfies me more than using Nikon's CLS system. I still have my Nikon DSLR work kit, but I'm not sure which direction I want to go just yet. This whole pandemic has changed things up for me. I'm starting to lean more towards super zooms and other gear I normally wouldn't have looked at in the past. One thing that bugs me about mirrorless is the lack of instant response. Even with my recently acquired Sony A9, despite being ridiculously fast to AF, it's still ridiculously slow to turn-on (1-2 seconds)! Then I realize I can also take amazing photos with my pocket Nikon J5 and it just takes the nicest videos!

Come to think about it, don't listen to me. I'm a guy who shoots with everything from the exotic to the cheap beaters...the only thing consistent is my raw workflow! :roflmao:
Still the best flash system for event work. It's not something I need anymore, but I haven't heard of any of the mirrorless systems having it's equal.

Last edited:
I'm not so certain about the death of m4/3 . . . at least, I'm willing to risk staying in it with the G95 & PL 12-60 I've purchased in the past couple of weeks. If it ever gets to the point that my camera stops working and there are no suitable replacements in that format, I'll deal with it then, but for now, I'm not going to worry about what the market is doing. There is a ton of angst and even acrimony over m4/3's "impending demise" over at mu-43, DPR, and 43rumors. Life is too short for that kind of stress.
I think that's kind of where I am as well. I guess it's just REALLY frustrating when I finally see a lens that would actually fill the hole in the system for me on the roadmap, things go sideways again.

But the more I look at it there really isn't another system that would work for me. Even if all Olympus production shut down, I could still buy either of the Panasonic telephotos and I'd have a small kit when I want with the Pen F and the bigger (but still smallish) when I need that. And while the Olympus 100-400 is really pretty big, it's really just about the same size as every other system's 100-400. So I'd really not gain anything.

The more I hear about the new 100-400 it really seems Olympus should have just done the one lens. Canon has had a few "L" variable aperture telephotos as has Sony had a few "G" lenses. And there is also the Fuji FX.

I currently use Sony and Fuji. Not coincidentally, they both have lens lines that are reasonably complete, especially with regard to small primes. I have one tele zoom, the XC 50-230, the results from which I find very satisfying. I give the OOC nod to Fuji, but Sony AF is very convincing, especially with grandchildren, and the RAW files are very pliable. In the interest of full disclosure, I’m perfectly happy with the ergs of the A7 bodies. Fuji ergs go without saying. I might settle on Fuji if the RAW files were as good as Sony’s.

One thing I've learned from these camera forums, is that none of us are ever satisfied! In fact I've seen this scenario play out with all of you across various camera forums over the years (including myself)! We're in a perpetual loop held captive by all the enticing gear these camera/lens companies produce! There's no hope for any of us! :shakehead: :friends:

People do this with cars, motorcycles, and guns. And teapots and audio equipment.
Use to be computer systems for me as well.

One thing I've learned from these camera forums, is that none of us are ever satisfied! In fact I've seen this scenario play out with all of you across various camera forums over the years (including myself)! We're in a perpetual loop held captive by all the enticing gear these camera/lens companies produce! There's no hope for any of us! :shakehead: :friends:
GAS

But if they'd just listen to us about what camera and lens to make it'd be different. :roflmao:

Last edited:
If I were to switch at this point I think it would be to Nikon. I do really like the direction they're going with the Z system. But it would be a while before everything I'd want is available and probably longer before I'd be able to afford / justify getting them.

I think that's kind of where I am as well. I guess it's just REALLY frustrating when I finally see a lens that would actually fill the hole in the system for me on the roadmap, things go sideways again.

But the more I look at it there really isn't another system that would work for me. Even if all Olympus production shut down, I could still buy either of the Panasonic telephotos and I'd have a small kit when I want with the Pen F and the bigger (but still smallish) when I need that. And while the Olympus 100-400 is really pretty big, it's really just about the same size as every other system's 100-400. So I'd really not gain anything.

The more I hear about the new 100-400 it really seems Olympus should have just done the one lens. Canon has had a few "L" variable aperture telephotos as has Sony had a few "G" lenses. And there is also the Fuji FX.
Reading through the thread, it seems that you are right on the edge of having the kit you want with m43. But you may have that constant temptation of the Nikon Z line. I'm in a similar spot with my Fuji X kit. And that constant curiosity about trying out a GFXr for portraits and landscapes. Is it possible that you could finish out your m43 kit, then get something Nikon Z in the used market to see if it is what you want?

Reading through the thread, it seems that you are right on the edge of having the kit you want with m43. But you may have that constant temptation of the Nikon Z line
I'm in the same spot, and it hinges basically on the sensor (dynamic range and highISO).

Where m43 always hit the limit for me was in dark high contrast situations - forests, especially the Redwoods.
In other scenarios I was quite happy with my m43 stuff.
So I finally bought a Nikon D750 two years ago - especially for our next Redwoods visit and was very happy with it.
M43 is still my main system - but I just added "specialty requirement options" around it...
Is a bit cluttered sometimes, but keeps me from re-buying all the lenses I like in m43 for another system (if that was even possible).

Reading through the thread, it seems that you are right on the edge of having the kit you want with m43. But you may have that constant temptation of the Nikon Z line. I'm in a similar spot with my Fuji X kit. And that constant curiosity about trying out a GFXr for portraits and landscapes. Is it possible that you could finish out your m43 kit, then get something Nikon Z in the used market to see if it is what you want?
That pretty much sums it up. I don't typically list my lenses, they've changes regularly over the years.

But currently to go with my E-M1.2 and Pen F I have:
  • O9mm BCL
  • P14mm
  • PL15mm
  • P20mm
  • PL25mm
  • S56mm
  • PL8-18
  • O12-100 Pro
So yes, almost there.

Nikon interests me because it was my first real "system", my first DSLR. And I really do like what they have done with their Z system. I think more than likely I'll probably fill out the system with one of the telephotos I mentioned before.

Well, if you want to buy an RP setup David, I know someone who is selling one ... ;)
I honestly don't like what I've seen from the Canon R system so far.

I'm in the same spot, and it hinges basically on the sensor (dynamic range and highISO).

Where m43 always hit the limit for me was in dark high contrast situations - forests, especially the Redwoods.
In other scenarios I was quite happy with my m43 stuff.
So I finally bought a Nikon D750 two years ago - especially for our next Redwoods visit and was very happy with it.
M43 is still my main system - but I just added "specialty requirement options" around it...
Is a bit cluttered sometimes, but keeps me from re-buying all the lenses I like in m43 for another system (if that was even possible).
You know I could get the O75-300 to fill the telephoto hole and still have enough to get a Z6 + 24-70 f/4. I wonder what the used prices of the Z6/Z7 will be once the Z7s/Z6s are released.

You know I could get the O75-300 to fill the telephoto hole and still have enough to get a Z6 + 24-70 f/4. I wonder what the used prices of the Z6/Z7 will be once the Z7s/Z6s are released.
Yeah, If you can deal with two systems you'd get the best of both worlds.

In the Redwoods I used the D750 with 24-120mm for all the wider photos and my old EM5 with the 50mm f2 macro for all the closeup details.

If your kind of photography allows for a moment or two of "where is this button again" I don't see a reason why not :)

And yes, the 75-300 is the one lens that I can't find a somewhat better (but not bigger) alternative to (not even in m43 :-D).
600 grams is kind of my hard limit on weight per lens (I take my gear hiking - and sometimes like to have two cameras with me)

I came across a bargain price FTZ adapter and bought it. I'm holding onto it until a Z body shows up that fits my price criteria! Either that or I'll buy a D780 at discount and be a DSLR holdout! :roflmao:

Just was pondering where I'm heading next. :whistle:

And knives...

... I am doing it with knives. As we speak...

What kind of stuff are you collecting?
I love that too.

... I was going through my camera gear today with an eye toward rationalizing my kit. One box I hadn't opened in a while contained my Pentax Q-S1 and four lenses - three zooms and a prime. All very good, all very compact... and all jewel-like in their construction.

And suddenly... it came to me. I really think all of my big, heavy Zuiko PRO glass is the antithesis of the original u43 mission. ...
You shouldn't let your Q live in the box!
Those cameras were putting "fun" right back into picture taking. But, of course, some people can't, or won't, use cameras that aren't latest generation. I'm hoping you're not one of them!
Just my thoughts. Still using my original Q. And having fun!

Last edited:
Back