Do I stay or do I go? (with my current system).

If I were still shooting events the D780 would be on my list.

I thought the D780 was a lame update, but that dude Ken Rockwell had a pretty thorough Youtube video about the camera and he made a couple good points. While it looks rather conservative, it's a very mature camera overall. I notice import models are selling at the $1600+ price range, I'm hoping the camera drops even more for USA bodies!

You shouldn't let your Q live in the box!
Those cameras were putting "fun" right back into picture taking. But, of course, some people can't, or won't, use cameras that aren't latest generation. I'm hoping you're not one of them!
Just my thoughts. Still using my original Q. And having fun!

I had the original and let it go. I was influenced by those who hated the 1/2.3" sensor. I quickly regretted it and bought the Q-S1 with the larger 1/1.7" sensor. A nicer body than the Q7. But the original, magnesium Q body was the best. I'd grab one if I could find one in great shape.

I thought the D780 was a lame update, but that dude Ken Rockwell had a pretty thorough Youtube video about the camera and he made a couple good points. While it looks rather conservative, it's a very mature camera overall. I notice import models are selling at the $1600+ price range, I'm hoping the camera drops even more for USA bodies!
Thom Hogan has a good review on it too...

Basically a great DSLR through the viewfinder and a great 'mirrorless' in LiveView on the LCD...

I had the original and let it go. I was influenced by those who hated the 1/2.3" sensor. I quickly regretted it and bought the Q-S1 with the larger 1/1.7" sensor. A nicer body than the Q7. But the original, magnesium Q body was the best. I'd grab one if I could find one in great shape.
I've got three of the black ones with 01. Two in unopened original boxes. Bought the two last when they went on sale, when the plastic ones came, and no one wanted the old ones. Still using the first one, despite banging it on rocks and parking lots. Magnesium showing where paint has worn off. The only regret I have is not getting more original lenses. But I'm using mine with my Pentax-110 lenses, and assorted CCTV lenses. The CS-mount lenses are body cap adapted. And probably not worth using, to most of the posters here...

FV5_0430-01.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

System in one bag (All of the above, plus mini tripod, IR remote and extra battery)

FV5_0433-01.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
And the 14-30mm is on my list - maybe even together with the 24-200mm (which will be next).
@MoonMind ? I know this is from an old thread (did a search for the 14-30) and I'm wondering whether you did in fact get that lens?
There's one that's just come up on our local classifieds - about 2/3 of new price

It's very tempting especially since some of my vintage F-mount lenses seem to no longer be in prime condition
(some lack of clarity, maybe fungus... and the fuss of manual focus only on such a superb body seems a bit of a waste)

@MoonMind ? I know this is from an old thread (did a search for the 14-30) and I'm wondering whether you did in fact get that lens?
There's one that's just come up on our local classifieds - about 2/3 of new price

It's very tempting especially since some of my vintage F-mount lenses seem to no longer be in prime condition
(some lack of clarity, maybe fungus... and the fuss of manual focus only on such a superb body seems a bit of a waste)
I own that lens - and it's a keeper! Two reasons I'm not using it more: Firstly, I rarely do work that requires ultra-wide zooms - either I take a very specific focal length to work with, or I basically use 24mm and longer ... Secondly, I also got the Z 12-28mm DX - and I do love that lens. True, the Z 14-30mm f/4 S is better in most ways (optically as well as mechanically - including sealing), but the Z 12-28mm DX is better than it has any right to be, works much better than I ever hoped it would and has VR, so, it's the better travel lens to pair with the Z 50.

Do I recommend the Z 14-30mm f/4 S? Absolutely - you have its perfect companion camera, the Z 6 II. But since you also own the Z fc, give the Z 12-28mm DX some thought, first. That said, if you're into super-wide shooting, you'll get more use out of the FX lens - and 14mm on FX is quite a bit wider than 12mm on DX (18mm-e).

M.

Thank you very much for your detailed and helpful response @MoonMind

I've had a long re-think and the asking price - even though a fair one at 2/3 of new - is still far from a small amount and we have so much storm damage to fix up at our home, that I'm hardly in a position to throw money around.
The thing is, about 6 months ago I left my Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 at the same photo shop where this 14-30 is currently advertised. They would not trade it in or buy it from me outright, since Tokina is not a brand they carry; so it's
been sitting on their 'used' shelf all this time unsold (on commission). So I'm going back to collect that one to scratch the ultra-wide itch. It's incredibly heavy and clunky and way older, but since ultra-wide is not strictly a
necessity (although fun) I'm going to shelve that desire for now

I'm a bit loath to investing in DX lenses; I'd rather get FX to use on either body, that's my current line of thinking. Would you disagree though?

I'm a bit loath to investing in DX lenses; I'd rather get FX to use on either body, that's my current line of thinking. Would you disagree though?
I think that's a good strategy, as I gather you really(!) like the Z 6 II. However, the lenses that surprised me more were all cheap and/or DX (well, the Z 18-140mm DX wasn't that cheap, but it's a great superzoom lens). That doesn't take away one bit from the quality of the FX and S Line lenses at all - they're all stunning. I have a weak spot for inexpensive stuff that works, though - and when it comes to gear, the Z 50 with its set of light and fairly cheap lenses certainly qualifies (for the record: Z 24mm f/1.7 DX, Z 18-140mm f/3.5-6.3 DX, Z 12-28mm f/3.5-5.6 DX PZ). Fits into a tiny bag with everything you need (second battery, USB cable for charging). Superb light travel combo!

So far, no Nikon Z lens has been a disappointment - I like even those that have had lukewarm results. And as you know, even one of the cheapest is a keeper (I can't bring myself to move on the Z 16-50mm DX, it's just too good - and besides, it'd make for an even more frugal and compact travel combo!).

M.

I agree in that cheap stuff that works is A-okay by me! The 16-50 has surprised me over and over (in a good way) and I love the 55-200.
I've neglected the Z fc since I got the 6ii, haha. I was a bit hindered by choosing the Fuji system for the SIS, so now that I ought to be free to play with the Z6,
we have builders at the house who need to be babysat, we have had intense weather (storms, floods and gale force winds) that have made going out impossible.
So the frustration level is intense and as my daughter very correctly points out, I get gear-lust and wish for retail therapy to cheer me up when this happens ...

I agree in that cheap stuff that works is A-okay by me! The 16-50 has surprised me over and over (in a good way) and I love the 55-200.
I've neglected the Z fc since I got the 6ii, haha. I was a bit hindered by choosing the Fuji system for the SIS, so now that I ought to be free to play with the Z6,
we have builders at the house who need to be babysat, we have had intense weather (storms, floods and gale force winds) that have made going out impossible.
So the frustration level is intense and as my daughter very correctly points out, I get gear-lust and wish for retail therapy to cheer me up when this happens ...
I know exactly what you mean ... Take care, and take your time. It pays to flesh out a system to one's own needs and preferences, and you've made an excellent start IMO.

There's an inexpensive way to scratch that itch, though: If you haven't already, look into the Z 40mm f/2. And if you already own that lens, put it on your Z 6 II and enjoy! It's a fabulous combo - in fact, one that can only be replaced by the Z f and Z 40mm f/2 SE; nothing else could make me let go of the Z 6/Z 40mm combo.

M.

Ja ja ! got the 40 and 28. I'm a hoarder. You say I've made a start, do you? This 'start' began in the 80's and I've been
adding stuff since then. It's quite a problem. While I do weigh things up and in general attempt to find used items or
buy when there's an incentive sale on, it still mounts up. I'm finding my older cameras - like the D4, D810, D610, are
not being used (oh, the D500 as well) and their resale value has plummeted to such an extent, that it makes more
sense to just keep them rather than to accept a slap in the face rock bottom offer. Technology moves on.

Eins, zwei, drei im Sauseschritt, so rennt die Zeit, wir laufen mit (as Erich Kaestner so wisely said)

Well, in my book, except maybe for the D610, they're all excellent cameras (the D610 is "merely" very good - I preferred my D750, a lot). And you seem to have the glass to go with them, so I don't see much of a problem; for working professionally, you're all set up.

I know you know that, but I meant a start on the Z system. You have very portable, very enjoyable lenses ready - nothing wrong with that at all. But I get the itch thing, don't I just ...

Still, I think with that kind of FX DSLR firepower in the wings, you can mitigate waiting "stress" at any given time by shooting the heck out of any of those cameras and your lenses - in fact, the D810 is the only camera I'd ever switch the D750 for (neither the D850 nor the D780 hold the same appeal or unique position in Nikon's system). Getting the Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 back may indeed be the best thing to do ... for now.

Just one thing: Do you, by any chance, own the 60mm f/2.8G? It pairs marvellously well with the FTZ adapter and feels great on the Z 6 (II). It's my go-to AF prime on the D750 (which, to be fair, usually sports the 70-200mm f/4G - my preferred lens of that kind). Shooting such a proficient marco lens that doubles as a great long normal is very rewarding ...

Anyhow, I'll stop all this recommending game for the time being - I suspect it doesn't help. But taking out the Z 40mm f/2 on the Z 6 II and just exploring what you can do with it might do so, really ...

M.

I've got two iterations of the 105 macro, so I traded in my 60 some years ago (funny you pick that one to mention!)

While I suspect that the adaptor plus vintage glass is not as ideal and snappy as actual newly created Z lenses, I'm sure to find some fun and enjoyment using what I've got (I shall look in the mirror and repeat that to myself)

I've got two iterations of the 105 macro, so I traded in my 60 some years ago (funny you pick that one to mention!)

While I suspect that the adaptor plus vintage glass is not as ideal and snappy as actual newly created Z lenses, I'm sure to find some fun and enjoyment using what I've got (I shall look in the mirror and repeat that to myself)
You know, in spite of owning both the 60mm f/2.8G and Z 105mm f/2.8 S, I adore the old 105mm f/2.8D - no VR, true, but wonderful optics, and really rather small and light for its type. If you find it a bit tedious to use on the Z 6 II, it'll sing on the D810 or D610. One of my favourite shots of the past months was taken with it on the D750 ...

If there ever is a Z-to-F adapter offering screwdriver AF, though, I'll truely be in hog heaven.

M.

You know, in spite of owning both the 60mm f/2.8G and Z 105mm f/2.8 S, I adore the old 105mm f/2.8D - no VR, true, but wonderful optics, and really rather small and light for its type. If you find it a bit tedious to use on the Z 6 II, it'll sing on the D810 or D610. One of my favourite shots of the past months was taken with it on the D750 ...

If there ever is a Z-to-F adapter offering screwdriver AF, though, I'll truely be in hog heaven.

M.
I do prefer the older non VR version of the 105 as well :). I usually use manual focus for macro work in any case

Back